Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse doesn't work in center portion of screen on Toshiba Satellite - Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mutantflapjack

mutantflapjack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

Hi! I'm at the end of my rope trying to solve this issue with the mouse/touch pad on my Toshiba Satellite running Windows 8.1

The mouse pointer doesn't work in the center portion of the screen. The mouse pointer doesn't disappear or anything; but if I try to click on something in the affected area nothing happens and I can't complete any tasks. If I'm able to move the item to an area of the screen where the mouse pointer does work (for example, minimizing my browser), then I can open up the item that I was previously unable to work with. This only happens in a section on the center of the screen and it happens with every single program, not just my web browser. So it's clearly an issue with using the mouse in this area of the screen; I just don't know what's causing it and how to resolve things. Oh, and I also can't alternatively use the touch screen to access things in this area of the screen either. It's like there's an entire area blocked off from accessing.

The mouse shows as working properly in Device Manager. Ideas on what to do or what could be causing this to happen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

It almost sounds like something is running in the background that would be in that center space, not allowing selection or operation.

#3 mutantflapjack

mutantflapjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

It almost sounds like something is running in the background that would be in that center space, not allowing selection or operation.

That's what I thought too, but nothing is visible. When I'm in a program and I click in that dead space, it's almost like I'm clicking outside of the program, if that makes sense. Like for instance, the bar with all the tabs on my browser is usually red, but if I click in the dead space in the center that bar turns white like I've left the browser and clicked into another program. Only visually I'm still viewing whatever web page I'm in in its entirety and there's nothing else visible there. If there is something running in the background, especially something I can't see, I have no idea how to find it.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:21 AM

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Report IE Proxy Settings[/size]
  • Report FF Proxy Settings[/size]
  • List content of Hosts[/size]
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log[/size]
  • List Installed Programs[/size]
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.[/size]
  • List Restore Points[/size]
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Clean Boot
If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows
  • Open Run. Windows 8 users can press the Windows key and R Key to open Run.
  • Type msconfig and press Enter
  • Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option
  • Uncheck the Load startup items check box
  • Go to Services tab
  • Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window
  • Click Disable all
  • Click OK
  • Restart Windows
To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
  • Go to the General tab
  • Check the Normal Startup option
  • Click OK
  • Restart

Clean Boot
If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.
With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.
Follow these steps:
  • Start Windows
  • Open Run. Windows 8 and 8.1 users can press the Windows key + R Keys to open Run.
  • Type msconfig and click OK button.
  • Go to General tab and place a check mark on Selective Startup option radio button.
  • Uncheck the Load startup items check box
  • Go to Services tab
  • Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window
  • Click Disable all
  • Click OK
  • Restart Windows
  • To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:
    • Go to the General tab
    • Check the Normal Startup option
    • Click OK
    • Restart
    Uninstall mouse driver and reinstall it.

Uninstall and install latest version of the graphic card.

Connect your laptop to a external monitor or television set to check issue resolves if it does then then there is a issue with laptop monitor.

Edited by FreeBooter, 03 August 2016 - 07:32 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#5 mutantflapjack

mutantflapjack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:38 PM

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Report IE Proxy Settings[/size]
  • Report FF Proxy Settings[/size]
  • List content of Hosts[/size]
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log[/size]
  • List Installed Programs[/size]
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.[/size]
  • List Restore Points[/size]
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

I've gotten to this point in things. The result file makes no sense to me. I'm still having issues even though after doing the first steps it said everything was resolved.

One question I have before I try the rest of this is that I noticed you have at the end to uninstall and reinstall the mouse and graphic card drivers. I've been trying to access the drivers to even update them and I can't access that part of the hardware on pretty much anything. When I pull up hardware and look at, for example, the mouse (or any other hardware, it really doesn't matter), the only thing I can click on is a driver information file. Everything else is grayed out - update, roll back, uninstall, etc. Not sure what to do there but I'll try clean boot next. At the moment it's still doing the same thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users