Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 ISO, not 8.1

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 carmellolb

carmellolb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

Keep in mind:

So I have a strange request here that seems to be very hard to get an answer to, and I hope someone here can answer it. When reading this post, keep in mind, that I already have bought Windows 8 and have a valid, legal product key, except my flash drive is missing (I lost it), and I can't afford to buy another copy. So this post is not about the product key, and product keys should not be mentioned, as product keys have nothing to do with this. Also keep in mind that I am looking for a disc image, not a disc, so please don't send me to a page where I can buy a Windows 8 installation disc or flash drive. 

My question:

I would like a download link to either the file itself, or a page that has a .iso file for Windows 8. PLEASE do not lead me to a page or download for Windows 8.1, as that is not what I am looking for. I am looking for Windows 8. Any edition works, but please: NO EVALUATION COPIES. Please do not give me any TechNet Eval downloads of Windows 8 Enterprise, as that is not what I am looking for. The download does not have to be from Microsoft's website, but just please give me a .iso file of Windows 8.

P.S.

Please check your download to be valid before you post it here, and please do not give me .exe files. All I want are .isos. And you can ask questions, but please don't tell me that there are no isos around. And please do not lead me to GetIntoPC's Windows 8 Pro ISO, as that is what I would like, but it is obviously corrupt, because it gets stuck installing Windows 8.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

Simple question: why would you not want to install Windows 8.1, and Windows 8 directly? Are there any reason as to why you need 8, and not 8.1?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 carmellolb

carmellolb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:18 PM

Simple question: why would you not want to install Windows 8.1, and Windows 8 directly? Are there any reason as to why you need 8, and not 8.1?Well, I know this might sound a little crazy, but I like 8 more, and I prefer the way 8 works.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Well, I know this might sound a little crazy, but I like 8 more, and I prefer the way 8 works.

Windows 8 is not receiving any more security updates. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 because using Windows 8 is now a security risk

Source: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/01/13/windows-8-loss-of-support.aspx

There is a legal way to get Windows 8 ISO directly from Microsoft without using the MediaCreationTool. Do this only if you have a product key, although you don't need it to download the ISO:

See here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-official-windows-iso-files-free-microsoft/

Be warned. To install Windows 8, you still need the product key

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 carmellolb

carmellolb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:25 PM

Well, I know this might sound a little crazy, but I like 8 more, and I prefer the way 8 works.

Windows 8 is not receiving any more security updates. Upgrade to Windows 8.1 because using Windows 8 is now a security risk

Source: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2016/01/13/windows-8-loss-of-support.aspx

There is a legal way to get Windows 8 ISO directly from Microsoft without using the MediaCreationTool. Do this only if you have a product key, although you don't need it to download the ISO:

See here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-official-windows-iso-files-free-microsoft/

Be warned. To install Windows 8, you still need the product key

-CKing

Thank you for the help, but as you can see, Windows 8 is not available, just Windows 8.1. And with the security updates, I have found very good security programs and should be able to use them. Thanks anyway.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

The problem is that legally speaking, Microsoft are the only ones allowed to distribute .iso for their Operating Systems (Windows). So if you cannot download them directly from them, it means that you shouldn't be able to download it from anywhere else (since it's illegal). I suggest contacting them and ask them for a download link and provide your product key if they ask.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 carmellolb

carmellolb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:35 PM

The problem is that legally speaking, Microsoft are the only ones allowed to distribute .iso for their Operating Systems (Windows). So if you cannot download them directly from them, it means that you shouldn't be able to download it from anywhere else (since it's illegal). I suggest contacting them and ask them for a download link and provide your product key if they ask.

Thanks. I will do just that. The only reason I didn't want to is because they only seem to have Windows 8.1. But okay, thats what I will do.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Microsoft still have .iso for Windows 8, of course. However, I don't know if they're willing to give them on request since they'll always push you to the latest version of their programs.

Let us know how it goes, I'm interested in knowing whether or not Microsoft will send you the .iso.

unite_blue.png

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

FWIW:  Time to be candid.  My opinions about several items follow.

We all know that some entities have managed to bypass Microsoft's distribution rights concerning MS products.  We all know that there are a multitude of blogs proclaiming accessibility for users to "free" downloads of software where proprietary rights are involved.

We all know that BC forum rules prohibit the discussion, use, etc. of any software obtained via less-than-standard methods involving user actions which are in compliance with the EULA governing any MS product.

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/download-official-windows-iso-files-free-microsoft/

I don't believe Tina Sieber has become or is an official representative of Microsoft.  I further believe that a blog...is the wrong place for any member in good standing...to seek a legal version of Windows or any other Microsoft product.  AFAIK...Microsoft does not delegate such rights to individuals utilizing blogs as the source of acquisition.  Nowhere have I seen any authorization from Microsoft...for users who may have (or have not) properly acquired versions of Windows software...to currently download "replacement" copies of MS products...from any site other than the Microsoft website.  If that was a MS goal...then such information would have been publicly conveyed via official MS channels to its consumer public...long ago.

This topic...is the last one where I hope to see anyone suggesting anything other using MS-designated channels...to acquire digital versions of MS products.  If the website policy cannot be adhered to or followed by members in good standing...I suspect that they might soon become something other than members in good standing.

Since the OP of said topic has resolved to do the right thing...and I see no need for further discussion of the points covered within this topic...this topic is now closed.  If you have any questions regarding my actions, feel free to PM such to me and I will attempt to respond intelligently.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users