Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Trojan read my files ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bill88

Bill88

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:08 PM

I was noticing that my mouse was slightly unresponsive and so I did not think too much of it but decided to check for virus with windows defender and it found a Trojan .
Now I am very concerned because I had a USB stick with all my financial website passwords and even credit card number with code .
I changed passwords etc .and reimaged my hard drive but I am still worried about the cc and some other stuff .Should I cancel the cc ?
How likely is it that the Trojan was able to read the USB and the text file with the passwords ? What I am trying to ask are the Trojan highly successful most of the time or are they failing most of the time ? What are my odds that i got out of this with no damage ? Does having the latest service packs help ?

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Bill88, 02 August 2016 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

What was the detection by Windows Defender?

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 Bill88

Bill88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:43 AM

Unfortunately I did not mark down the Trojan name before I reimage .all I remember is that it had a word starting with p .

Edited by Bill88, 03 August 2016 - 09:45 AM.

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

There is malware that steals CC numbers from text files. But it's impossible to tell if your malware does this if you don't have the name anymore.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Bill88

Bill88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:37 AM

OK so sounds like most Trojan can't do this ? Just trying to get a sense of how probable it is ... is it possible that the operating system will thwart it's attempts even if the Trojan is running ?
Is there a comprehensive list of Trojan somewhere that I can look at ... maybe I will recognise it if I see it .

Edited by Bill88, 03 August 2016 - 11:54 AM.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:57 PM

Any trojan CAN do it, it's just that not all are designed to. In general malware CAN do anything that a administrator user can do, it can read files, alter them, delete them, change settings... and all manner of other things. The thing is a particular piece of malware has programming to execute a particular list of nasty actions, no piece will do something that isn't on it's list of "evil things to do once on a computer". Your aim should be to avoid infection and eliminate any that do arrive, don't try hoping that a piece of malware can't do something, because while it might not do something others probably will.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 Bill88

Bill88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

Look obviously I am going to be more careful from now . My question is simply what are the probabilites ... if you don't know you don't know .nobody has answered me on how effective the operating ssystem is . Unless you actually know how to operate a virus and what it can do don't bother answering anymore . Thanks .

#8 Bill88

Bill88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:19 PM

Actually I am done . Asking the misinformation highway is obviously not the way to go .
Rest assured that I won't be reading any more replies . Thanks .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users