Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Split From http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/620060/windows-10-wont-shut-down-properly, #2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AncientSurfer

AncientSurfer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

I upgraded to Windows 10 last week while it was still free. I thought I was doing quite well, until today. I went to switch on my computer and it told me it was shutting down. It's taking a very long time about it and I can't of course access the start button from the shutdown screen. Husband says it serves me right for upgrading! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

Hi AncientSurfer,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer forum.
If you are having issues with Windows 10 please start your own thread about the issues you are having with Windows 10 we will assist you at your own thread.

Edited by FreeBooter, 02 August 2016 - 08:33 AM.

Posted Image

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Do have Windows 10 Setup DVD?
Is there a chance you could take and post picture of the screen saying Windows shutting down?
Have you install any device driver or program before this issue started.
Windows 10 has recovery environment where you can use tool such as Startup Repair, System Restore, Reset etc.. If you have a Windows 10 Setup DVD it would be easy to boot your computer with Windows 10 Setup DVD and access these tools. If you don't have Windows 10 Setup DVD then you try to make Windows start Startup Repair tool and if Startup Repair tool cannot resolve the issue it will give you option to start advanced troubleshooting tools. To force Startup Repair tool you need to four times power on and force power off from power switch. Power on your computer soon as computer manufacturer logo part finnish force power off by holding down power switch do this at lease four time till Startup repair starts.

Posted Image

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:15 PM

I upgraded to Windows 10 last week while it was still free. I thought I was doing quite well, until today. I went to switch on my computer and it told me it was shutting down. It's taking a very long time about it and I can't of course access the start button from the shutdown screen. Husband says it serves me right for upgrading! 

Press and hold the power button to force shut down the computer. Although I typically don't recommend it as you may lose data, or cause other problem, if it is still stuck on shutting down, then we have to do that. Afterwards start your computer again. If this doesn't fix it or you are having any other problems let us know :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users