Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Win 10 Defender provides Limited Periodic Scanning even if having another AV

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:41 AM

Hi all!

Starting with the Microsoft Windows 10 Anniversary Update today, August 2, the new Win 10 Defender provides Limited Periodic Scanning to Provide Additional Malware Protection even if having another AV.

Details here: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/mmpc/2016/05/26/limited-periodic-scanning-in-windows-10-to-provide-additional-malware-protection/

Please discuss!

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:02 AM

This is a good feature. It's always good to rely on more than one program to scan your system. I'll be enabling it when I upgrade to the AU (tonight hopefully).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 613 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hi, Aura!

Thank you for the prompt and supporting reply! :) BTW, I will reinstall my OS in conjunction with the AU by using the MCT, in order to fix some software usage mistakes on my part. :busy:

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 02 August 2016 - 09:04 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

As long as there are no conflicts with other security software, I see no reason not to take advantage of it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 613 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:04 AM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and supporting reply! :)

As it happens, just to check, I went to Settings and Windows Update and clicked on Check for updates, and then the AU started downloading and could not be stopped, even though I closed the Windows Update app, because it continued downloading in the background, and used up all my WLAN bandwith to the point that I could not access the Internet with Firefox at all.

I will now restart my computer and check if everything works properly, and in any case I have a full disk image which I have created with Acronis True Image 2016 should I need it. Will have to report back afterwards, though.

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 613 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:50 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Well, this did unfortunately not work, as I received the BSOD error "CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT", which means that I have to update my UEFI, so I have downloaded the new version and will continue with my original plan to reinstall.

Upon forced restart I received the message "Restoring the previous version of Windows".

Is there any point in restoring my system with ATI 2016 as it seems to function well like before the update?

Thank you!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 04 August 2016 - 05:04 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:49 AM

...Is there any point in restoring my system with ATI 2016 as it seems to function well like before the update?

I believe if something is not broke, then don't fix it. Of course others will fix things until it is broke.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 613 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Sorry I am a bit late, as this was a lot of work, but now I have finally updated my UEFI and reinstalled/upgraded to the AU, IOW all went well. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 04 August 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:39 AM

You're welcome. :)