Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Good Is Norton?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stran93r

Stran93r

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:27 PM

Hello, I have Norton Internet Security 2006 and I also have Ewido but I run Norton all the time and Ewindo only when I suspect a problem. My real questions are "How good is Norton?","What is the down/up side of Norton", "What are the alternatives?".
Thanks in advance!

The only thing we have to fear is fear it self...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

Hello Stran93r and let me be the first to welcome you to BC.

Well i will be short on this one, but you will get many other opinions i can assure you of that.

Norton all-in-all is a very good Anti-Virus, it does as it should and thats what you pay for. There are many anti-Norton users out there, this is mainly because it uses alot of your CPU to run,which hogs the speed at which your computer runs. Its ok on newer systems, but older ones will show a definate decrease in speed with it on them.

Also,once Norton is on your system,it can be a bit of a pain to remove,possible, just awkward.
If you have already paid for the full version of Norton and your system is running at a good speed, then keep it on there. No point in removing it if you have paid for it, unless your system is running really slow.

Yes, there are many other AV's out there that you may wish to switch to once your subscription has expired, some very very good free AV's too. Have a browse around the forum and have a look HERE and see what you find.

Oh, and you should run ewido at least once a week to be sure nothings creeped on there.

Happy browsing
:thumbsup:

Edited by graveangel, 14 August 2006 - 06:44 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:50 PM

Norton is as good as any other Antivirus, since none are perfect.
The biggest complaints about Norton, as graveangel stated, is it's a systen hog (uses a lot of resources), and is a real bear to uninstall.
For some freeware Antivirus alternatives, check graveangel's link, under the Antivirus heading.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 FifeFlyer

FifeFlyer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:03 PM

graveangel , for me you've summed it up perfectly. I don't like Norton for the reasons you stated but i must admit it gives good protection.

Stran93r , my advice............use up your prescription then arm yourself with the freebies , you'll be pleasantly surprised how effective they are. Of course as NIS 2006 includes a firewall and anti spam as well as antivirus you will need separate apps to cover all these areas.

#5 Stran93r

Stran93r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 07:13 PM

I guess because I've used Norton for so long and it's a brand name it seems like it's the best way to go...but in reality it isn't...

The only thing we have to fear is fear it self...

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:21 PM

One other problem that Norton has which may not be an issue for everyone, is that it doesn't scan IMAP mail. My University mail was IMAP, there was no POP option, consequently none of my mail was scanned by Norton - so if you have IMAP mail, make sure to choose a AV that scans IMAP mail, several of them don't.

Guess what? When Panda On-line found 6 related virus files on my computer, they were ALL attached to my IMAP mail, not one to my POP mail which Norton does scan for.

Which reminds me: no one virus checker is 100% perfect, so it's a good idea to occasionally get a 2nd opinion, as it were, from various on-line scanners. Just be sure when you use them that you temporarily turn off the real-time protection to prevent conflicts. Turn it back on when the scanning is finished.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:47 AM

Maybe I should point out that mail scanning doesn't contribute to your security, since the resident (real-time) scanner will scan the mail when you open it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:46 AM

Hmm. So you're saying that it doesn't matter if it's not scanned when it's downloaded? And what about the attachments? From my experience, the real-time mail protection in ZA and in Symantec scan mail as it's downloaded, but Symantec won't do this with IMAP mail. My ZA will even quarantine suspect attachments - as they are downloaded, and I suspect even whole messages if necessary. And there is still the fact that my IMAP mail had virus files whilst my POP mail didn't.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:20 PM

The mail-scanner scan emails and attachments as they are downloaded. The real-time scanner scan the mail and attachments as they are opened. So technically you scan them twice, and if one doesn't find the virus the other won't either.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,997 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

OK, that begs the question--will AVG (that is what I use) alert you if it finds a virus before you download an infected email or attachment? If it does, will deleting the infected email before opening prevent further infection?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

I would think so. I'm a little leary of trusting an as-it's-opened scan. By that point it's been opened it may be too late. It seems to me that it's better to quarantine the bugger before it's opened, especially if there are both recognized and unrecognized viruses in the unopened mail. The latter might not get quarantined upon opening, but it certainly would upon downloading.

How about an analogy: sick animals that need surgery. Is it better to quarantine the sick animal before the surgery begins or after the surgery has begun?

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 August 2006 - 01:55 AM.

Orange Blossom

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:01 PM

I think it is useful to remember that many ISPS/E-mail providers will ALSO scan your E-mail and attachments; in this case, your AV is a second layer of protection.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users