Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get past login screen after potential malware

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HopefulHoper

HopefulHoper

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:36 AM

I've gotten random Internet disconnects every few weeks. Each time my DNS settings change from one address with letters to a new one with numbers. Same old and new one.

It happened today, but when I got my connection back it redirected me to go.microsoft.com/selfinstall/index.html which then automatically redirected me to a Rogers Easy Connect page.

Every time I attempted to access a webpage either Google Chrome gave me a warning about my connection not being private or it redirected me to this same page. I also got a random Rogers survey popup from onlinesurveys.com.

The page said to set up my wifi which has already been set up for years. I flushed my DNS and scanned my computer with Malware Bytes but it found nothing.

I put in fake and random information for the wifi setup but it actually changed my wifi username and password. I had access after that but still got security warnings.

I wanted to be on the safe side so I scanned my computer with Hitman Pro, Adwcleaner, TDSS killer, Rogue killer, and did a Ccleaner scan to clear browser data.

At first restarting my computer led me to an entirely different lockscreen page on Windows 10. It had a random lock screen, didn't recognize any Users and restarted on a loop. Then after forcing it to shut down and turning it on, my computer has my lock screen and User but I cannot sign in. Putting in my password and pressing enter does nothing.

I'm sorry this is long but I could really use help here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:18 AM

Okay i would ask you to get malware infection checkup by malware remover experts here at Bleeping Computer but because you cannot login to your computer lets deal with that first then i would direct you to correct forum for you to ask for malware infection checkup by experts.

Is there a chance you could take a photo of the login screen?

Did you ever have login password setup for your Windows 10?

Are you using Local User account or Microsoft account to log in to Windows 10?

Edited by FreeBooter, 02 August 2016 - 04:22 AM.

Posted Image

#3 HopefulHoper

HopefulHoper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:43 AM

Thank you very much for being here to help me :).

I would be able to take a picture but I managed to run system restore and see if that works. I apologize if that's a common solution beforehand, much of this is new to me.

I have a login password set up for my account. Logging in and pressing enter essentialy did nothing.

I use a Microsoft account not a Local one.

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

If you were and infected maybe your Microsoft account password was changed by the hacker you can reset your Microsoft account password form below link.

"Reset your Microsoft account password online. You can reset your password on any device connected to the Internet."

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Posted Image

#5 HopefulHoper

HopefulHoper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:25 AM

After performing system restore I have control of my computer again. My account password hadn't changed, perhaps one of the scan programs got rid of something important? I'm not sure why my computer did that.

For the most part the privacy warning from chrome is gone. I have gotten it on one or two sites I would normally not have gotten it on though. Is there a way to be certain that I am completely okay? I changed my wifi password, disabled WPS and removed it from being detectable to other devices too. I have read that it helps security.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:22 PM

Lets make sure your computer is free of any malware infections visit Am I Infected? What do I do? How do I get help? Who is helping me? thread for posting instructions for malware infection checkup.

Posted Image

#7 HopefulHoper

HopefulHoper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

I called Rogers earlier and they explained that this was from their end. Apparently they reset something for my Internet which caused this. I find it strange that it led to malware like behavior though.

To be safe I ran extra scans and I should be okay. Thank you very much for your help FreeBooter :). If I could give you something in return I would :P.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:44 AM

You are very welcome, no need to give anything your thanking me will do!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users