Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked out/access denied on C drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 castleofanime

castleofanime

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Hi everyone, newcomer here. been searching the web for days trying to get my C drive unlocked again. me being an idiot wanted to mess with the groups (admin, system etc) permissions by deleting them, thinking it would default like most things do. it did not. so i am in a world of frustration. i have tried system restores, CMD as admin, takeown, safemodes, you name it. when i tried the above step in desktop, it says its not valid, and will not open. i try saving and opening in a removable drive and it says there is an error in the x86 filepath. i cannot access ANYTHING that is on my c drive and i am running on windows 7 ultimate. i have also tried an upgrade repair, but alas, it cannot upgrade. please help, i cannot backup and all my restore points are now from after the incident, and I'd rather not have to do a clean install to get everything back.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2016 - 06:47 PM.
Moved to own topic - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Hello castleofanime and :welcome: to Bleeping Computer

It is recommended to type bump into a post so it goes up in the forum views than create new topics, but anyways:

Windows Repair AIO - Default

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One

NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.

• Boot in Safe Mode with Networking;
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Leave all the items checked by default;
  • Click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;

Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

Can you access your C drive now? 

-CKing

Edited by CKing123, 01 August 2016 - 06:32 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:50 PM

FWIW:  It is NOT recommended to type "bump" on a topic to which no one has yet responded.  IMO, that does nothing to facilitate/improve the speed with which anyone responds.  Original post was tag-ended onto a topic in Tips/Tricks initiated by someone else, OP did not initiate new topic until today.  I merged content of both posts.

Louis

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

Whoops! I thought OP had created their own topics, and didn't get a reply

Mod Edit:  Not a problem :) - Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2016 - 06:53 PM.

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#5 castleofanime

castleofanime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:28 PM

I had done all the steps as you said in the order, and it looked like it worked, but sadly i am still locked out of c drive after the restart with the access denied message. i even disabled my antivirus under services in the task manager in safe mode. 

Edited by castleofanime, 01 August 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:02 PM

wanted to mess with the groups (admin, system etc) permissions by deleting them, thinking it would default like most things do.

If you removed System, then your only course of action would be to repair install :(

But, before we do that, I want you to run these three commands:

takeown /f C:\
icacls C:\ /grant administrators:F
icacls C:\ /grant SYSTEM:F

And restart your computer. If that doesn't fix it, then a repair install may be the only other way to fix it up

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#7 castleofanime

castleofanime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:51 PM

i may have found the issue. apparently my system group was not readded, so i went a added it again, and sure enough i have more access to things i did not prior. hopefully this will allow me to fix it for good this time using the above methods

EDIT: by gum it looks like that has fixed it! thank you for helping me! that tweaking program has helped me as well!

Edited by castleofanime, 02 August 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#8 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:55 AM

You are welcome :)

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users