Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista starts in safe mode only - tried all the usual fixes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GTOH

GTOH

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:14 PM

Thx for any help.  Computer is high-end Cyberpower game computer circa 2008 with Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.  Computer is not typically online and has never had a breakdown.  Late June 2016 I experienced the 'Black screan of death' while playing Soliaire.  I cleaned all dust from computer box and motherboard (very little anyway).   I was able to establish Safe Mode and ran all the typical off-line 'repair options, last known good configuration, past restore point', etc.  Still not able to "normal boot" start.  No error messages appear.  I downloaded the few documents and pictures I wanted to save, then inserted the backup Windows Vista CD that came with computer and re-installed Vista like brand new.  Now computer only boots in Safe Mode. Went into msconfig - Turned off Microsoft Windows Services, made sure Safe mode box was unchecked... still not able to boot into 'normal Vista".  I have attempted various "fixes" found in this forum and others without success.  I don't know what else to attempt at this point.  Hard drive scan shows no file corruption.  Could this be a hardware issue?   Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTOH

GTOH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:14 PM

Conclusion to this problem:    One of 2 video cards was blown.  Specifically to output one.   Computer was in fact starting in Vista... only looked overly pixilated.  Switched second card to mail.  Basically works OK except can't stream or play videos.   Replacement video card not worth investment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users