Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CrypMIC (CryptXXX imposter) Support and Help Topic

• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#421 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:57 AM

Nothing new to report that in regards to decryption. As for combating ransomware, many security vendors have improved or added anti-exploit protection to guard against this type of infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#422 Bawlf

Bawlf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

Still wanted to check if there's any progress or updates on this type of ransomware.  Is there any possible developments, or just waiting for authorities or the ransomware to hand the keys over? Is it specific to a certain variant of CrypMic type ransomware? I'm still holding out hope that my laptop could have salvaged.  I'd give anything a shot, and since its been 2 years since I got infected, I doubt that the authors of this version are still taking payment.

I'm worried that a variant like CrypMic will just fade into history, and it will be forgotten.  So any encouraging ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I'd pay more than what the original ransom was, haha.

#423 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2018 - 06:45 PM

Sorry to say but there has been no progress with decrypting files encrypted by CrypMIC without paying the ransom that I am aware of.

Law enforcement authorities have had some success arresting cyber-criminals, seizing C2 servers and releasing private RSA decryption keys to the public but the criminals behind CrypMIC have probably moved on or went into hiding. But you never know...at some point they could get caught or even choose to release the master keys.

For now all you can do is keep your saved data and continue to wait.

#424 Amigo-A

Amigo-A

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:03 AM

Law enforcement authorities (agencies) could find and arresting any extortionist if they could wanted to. But the fact is that usually law enforcement agencies protect those who came to power and those who hold this power, who manipulate this power, and this is those one who benefits from the current law, which is strict only to the ordinary people. 

Therefore, you do not need to be under the delusion that the police will catch extortionists somewhere. They will not be caught until the extortionists begin to extort money from those who have power.

In history, there are cases when the extortionists themselves or their competitors, or their former partners, or other extortionists who hacked the base of competitors, published decryption keys. And then there was no merit of law enforcement authorities and agencies.

Edited by Amigo-A, 02 May 2018 - 04:49 AM.

My projects: Digest "Crypto-Ransomwares" + Anti-Ransomware Project (In Russian) + Google Translate Technology

Have you been attacked by a Ransomware? Report here. Знаете русский язык? Пишите мне на русском. Помогу. 

#425 Bawlf

Bawlf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

Sorry to say but there has been no progress with decrypting files encrypted by CrypMIC without paying the ransom that I am aware of.

Law enforcement authorities have had some success arresting cyber-criminals, seizing C2 servers and releasing private RSA decryption keys to the public but the criminals behind CrypMIC have probably moved on or went into hiding. But you never know...at some point they could get caught or even choose to release the master keys.

For now all you can do is keep your saved data and continue to wait.

Is there ever any "other" or less known ways that ransomware is ever decrypted? I'm willing to try anything, as this has been a hassle for the last two years, and I don't want to lose hope that one day I'll get all my personal files and pictures back.

#426 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,117 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:49 PM

In cases where there is no free decryption tool, restoring from back up is not a viable option and file recovery software does not work, the only other alternative to paying the ransom is to backup/save your encrypted data as is and wait for a possible solution...meaning, what seems like an impossibility at the moment (decryption of your data), there is always hope someday there may be a potential solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users