Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot sign in to my Windows account

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

MS is presnting me with an impossible Catch 22 situation. When I followed advice to set up two factor authentication I noticed that an out-of-date recovery phone number was still listed in my account details, but when I tried to get back into my account to correct them.I got an error report saying my log in password details were incorrect. I have entered my correct password repeatedly with the same response. Somewhere in the system there must be a password which is being accepted to log in to my Mail account automatically, and to open the MS page which gives details of my past purchases. But somehow it must be different to the password I have used up to now to access my MS account, for example in Settings, and for my Windows devices including this PC which fortunately I also have a Pin for.

I cannot find out what this password is, to use it or to change it, because I have to enter the unknown password first in order to do it. I have tried numerous times to recover the password, requesting a recovery code be sent to my recovery email address and to my mobile, but every time I get error messages saying either 'the Code did not work' or 'the Code has expired'.

I have started email correspondence with MS Support. So far they have askd for screen shots of my problem --- but all that will show is the MS sign in page with the message that the password is incorrect. 

What can I do about this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

Yeah this is why I hate creating MS accounts on computers. It could be a headache in no time.

I know its not free but maybe try this (or a similar product)?

http://www.top-password.com/password-recovery-bundle.html

Your second options would be to reinstall the OS, if you don't have anything that's important on that computer.

-------

Btw, if you end-up buying the product, could you share your experience with us afterwards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users