Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ongoing wifi (network adaptor) problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 asbradford

asbradford

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

For some reason, my laptop has real trouble staying connected to wifi when it is not plugged in. Usually, every 15 minutes, the wifi suddenly reverts to being "limited", before it is turned off completely, and I can't turn it back on. (It just says "no connections available", where there clearly are).

Currently I get around this by rebooting the driver (network adaptor) from device manager. But this is still very annoying, and sometimes it freezes my laptop, forcing me to reboot. I've tried rolling back the driver, uninstalling and reinstalling it, and fiddled with the "power management" settings, and none of that's worked.

Does anyone have any better solutions for this?

My laptop is a HP Envy, model 3165 NGW. I'm running Windows 10.

Edited by asbradford, 01 August 2016 - 02:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

::Edit:: Nevermind. I thought you were saying you had a HP 3165, not that the wireless card was model 3165. Oops. 

Edited by Trikein, 01 August 2016 - 03:27 PM.

#3 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

It's Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 - is that right?

That's the wireless network adaptor I reset in device manager.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

Try downloading and installing this driver. Yours would be the second download button for 64-bit systems. Should update it to version 19.0.1.1.

Edited by Trikein, 01 August 2016 - 03:24 PM.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:24 PM

MS in its great wisdom introduced a new so-called power saving setting in Windows 10 for WiFi.  Go to Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> Wireless adapter settings -> Power saving mode.  Change settings there to Maximum Power.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:28 PM

I didn't mention that because in OP they said "and fiddled with the "power management" settings, and none of that's worked." Is this different?

#7 asbradford

asbradford
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:42 PM

Oh, that power setting seemed to do the trick! Yes sorry, that's different - I fiddled with power management in device manager, but not in power plans in control panel.

I'm finding it hard to understand the thinking behind this. Why on earth would you have a setting that turns off wifi unpredictably, to save power?

Thanks for all the help :)

Edited by asbradford, 01 August 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:50 PM

That's why it's always good to have more then 1 set of eyes on a problem. Thanks Niweg!

If you continue to have problems, I would still suggest checking that your driver is up to date, since they released a update recently.

Edited by Trikein, 01 August 2016 - 03:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users