Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo U430: Blank screen on startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rmf2016

rmf2016

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

This is a hard to fix blank screen issue. My Lenovo ideapad u430 touch has developed a new issue since a month. Bought in 2014. Never been dropped or damaged in any way. Been working fine till now. The laptop is Core i7, has single 8gb RAM module and one 256gb SSD. More about u430 here.

When the laptop is restarted or started from an off state the laptop turns on with lights and sound of fan, but the screen is blank. No lenovo logo nothing. Cannot get into bios setup either. No new updates, drivers or new devices added. So, nothing obvious has changed to result in this malfunction.

My solution initially was to force turn it off with long press on the power button and if I leave it off for 30 mins to few hours and try again, it started fine. I used that trick for 4-5 days. And then the display was completely blank even after repeated on and offs. I can still hear the fan running and the lights all look fine.

I have gone through the following checks over the last two weeks.

1. Cleaned the laptop and checked for loose cables, connectors etc.

2. I have tried hdmi output to external monitor and there is no output. But then again, there is usually never HDMI output until at least the Lenovo logo shows up.

3. Turned off computer removed battery and fully powered off for 30 mins. Inserted battery back and restarted. Issue persists.

4. Checked CMOS battery. Seems weak on the multimeter. Ordered new CMOS battery and replaced. Issue persists.

5. Got a new RAM module and tested with new module. Issue persists.

6. Removed the SSD and connected to another windows computer using SATA to USB connector. The SSD seems to be working alright. Tested drive using CrystalMarkDisk and looks fine. So it's not an SSD issue.

I am running out of obvious checks. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please do comment. I would highly appreciate that.

Thanks a lot.

Attached Files

Edited by rmf2016, 01 August 2016 - 02:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Your picture leads me to believe you have a dedicated graphics chip; but, the link to your model doesn't work.
What is the full Lenovo part number for your PC or the FRU number for the system board?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 rmf2016

rmf2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:47 PM

Yes. It does have dedicated graphics. GeForce GT 730M, I think. More details: Lenovo Ideapad u430 Touch, Model: 20270. P/N 59387599.

Edited by rmf2016, 01 August 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:40 AM

I hate to say it then; but, IMHO, the system board's (motherboard) video or power management is what has died.  Before you buy one, check the FRU number on YOUR board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-IDEAPAD-U430-I7-4500U-LAPTOP-MOTHERBOARD-90004536-31LZ9NB01K0-11S90004536-/251605577634?hash=item3a94dc6fa2:g:74QAAOSwIgNXjOxx

Here is the support page:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/IdeaPad-U-Series-laptops/IdeaPad-U430-Touch-Notebook?tabName=Documentation&linkTrack=Mast:SubNav:Support:Documentation|Documentation

And the maintenance manual:

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_u330p_u330%20touch_u430p_u430%20touch_hmm.pdf

#5 rmf2016

rmf2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:58 AM

oh :-( Thanks a lot for your reply and the links. Hmm.. Before I buy a new motherboard, I was wondering if there was some way to confirm what might be wrong. I don't mind buying a new motherboard, but just want to be sure. Is there some test/inspection if it's a motherboard failure or power?

Also, I would like to verify if my display actually works. Is there some way to test the display? Can I feed in an external input and test the display or something? 

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:40 AM

In your posted picture (and try all of these with the internal battery unplugged, disconnecting the AC adapter before fooling with internal anything):
I don't like the slight cant (crookedness) of the cable going to the USB board. Its on the left and is the large, white, flat cable. Reseat it and try to get it straighter and try the PC with it disconnected if straightening doesn't seem to do anything.
The F11 key is supposed to turn the display on and off. Try that.
You might also try unplugging the CMos battery (center-right) and leaving it unplugged for 10-20 minutes
According to Lenovo, if you hit F2 a bunch of times immediately after turning it on, you ought to get setup.
Try it, too, with the LCD off and the external monitor connected instead.

Unfortunately; without another almost identical laptop, testing the LCD would be a bear. You can buy LVDS to VGA adapters; but they're $40+ and are LCD connection type specific. You could try getting the LCD loose from its case so you van see if the cable is loose or canted (I've seen about 4 of this in 40 years). The most common failures with LCD's now are physical damage (i.e. cracked or separated) and that is usually obvious.

#7 rmf2016

rmf2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Just saw this video 

Looks like a similar issue. But the fix seems rather strange.

Perhaps this could be an overheating issue because the laptop did get quite hot especially when gaming. But not regularly. I should take a look at the video chipset.

Edited by rmf2016, 02 August 2016 - 07:17 PM.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 732 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:58 AM

The HP DV2000, 6000, and 9000 were infamous for a bug wherein an overheating NVidia part would break the solder joints and render it dysfunctional. The exact same issue; though, hit Dell, Sony, Gateway, Apple, and everyone else.
Unfortunately; the myth that it can be fixed by reheating the part enough to cause the solder to melt again is just that; a myth. Its a temporary fix, at best. Reballing, where the part is removed and a higher quality solder is used to create new connections is a fix; but, costs more than the system board I listed earlier. Some of the folks that offer a true reballing will also replace the part which can give a slight increase in performance, too.
Heck, I got a free new laptop from the NVidia settlement of a class action lawsuit in 2011; but, that is very old news, now. Here, the Canadian site still exists: http://www.canadiannvidiasettlement.com/

Did you try al the things I suggested?

#9 perspicacity_a

perspicacity_a

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

I think I have the same problem.  Although in my case the laptop has definitely been dropped / damaged (young children...), but I didn't get the impression that the display issue was caused by any drop in particular :P

rmf2016: Did you find a fix that worked for you?  

#10 perspicacity_a

perspicacity_a

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2017 - 11:13 PM

Update:  turns out the problem in my case was solved pretty easily.  The LCD connector to the motherboard was not firmly connected (in the upper right of the OP's picture, looks like it has a bandaid hanging off it).  After I reconnected this everything worked fine, as you'd expect.  My guess is that those drops shook it loose!

#11 rmf2016

rmf2016
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:40 PM

I am glad it was fixed easily for you. I couldn't get mine to work. After many frustrating attempts later, I have simply dumped it in a corner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users