This is a hard to fix blank screen issue. My Lenovo ideapad u430 touch has developed a new issue since a month. Bought in 2014. Never been dropped or damaged in any way. Been working fine till now. The laptop is Core i7, has single 8gb RAM module and one 256gb SSD. More about u430 here.
When the laptop is restarted or started from an off state the laptop turns on with lights and sound of fan, but the screen is blank. No lenovo logo nothing. Cannot get into bios setup either. No new updates, drivers or new devices added. So, nothing obvious has changed to result in this malfunction.
My solution initially was to force turn it off with long press on the power button and if I leave it off for 30 mins to few hours and try again, it started fine. I used that trick for 4-5 days. And then the display was completely blank even after repeated on and offs. I can still hear the fan running and the lights all look fine.
I have gone through the following checks over the last two weeks.
1. Cleaned the laptop and checked for loose cables, connectors etc.
2. I have tried hdmi output to external monitor and there is no output. But then again, there is usually never HDMI output until at least the Lenovo logo shows up.
3. Turned off computer removed battery and fully powered off for 30 mins. Inserted battery back and restarted. Issue persists.
4. Checked CMOS battery. Seems weak on the multimeter. Ordered new CMOS battery and replaced. Issue persists.
5. Got a new RAM module and tested with new module. Issue persists.
6. Removed the SSD and connected to another windows computer using SATA to USB connector. The SSD seems to be working alright. Tested drive using CrystalMarkDisk and looks fine. So it's not an SSD issue.
I am running out of obvious checks. If anyone has any suggestions or solutions, please do comment. I would highly appreciate that.
Thanks a lot.
Edited by rmf2016, 01 August 2016 - 02:55 PM.