Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 unable to login (Users forgot passwords)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tinroad

Tinroad

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hey guys

I have a lady who brought her mom's laptop to me.  They cannot login with the live account login (Password is forgotten).  I requested password reset in which there is only an email code option, the person didn't have a cell phone setup on the acct.  Naturally they don't remember the password for the email acct either.  I had them call "Aol" to reset their email password but the password they gave me will not work.  It seems like a losing cause.  Is there any other way to login to this acct?  Shut the password option down? Create a new Admin acct?  Something?  

Thanks

Shannon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

I'm not sure this will work for Window 10 but you can see if enabling the hidden Administrator Account works using this guide. Here is the video. The guide gives a download link but it is not for the latest version which you can download here

After enabling the hidden Administrator account you can create a local account. I am not sure if Windows 10 encrypts data by default when a live account is used to login. I would not attempt to reset the password.

If the utility does not work you may be able to enable the Hidden Administrator Account by editing the registry offline. You would need a Windows 10 boot disk and then access the command prompt. I know this works for 7 but I have not tried it on 10.

Worst case you can reset Windows 10 using the install disk. Important data can hopefully be pulled before the reset by attaching the drive to another computer or by using a live linux distro.

#3 Tinroad

Tinroad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

The boot disk never worked.  I changed the boot sequence in BIOS for CD/DVD to be #1.  I called the lady and she said she had no documents or anything of importance saved so I am in the process of doing a Reset and deleting the personal accts to start from scratch.  

Thanks for your help!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

No problem, but I did forget something. Windows 10 most likely has SecureBoot enabled. If that is enabled in UEFI then the utility disk will not boot. 

Edit: I'm pretty sure the utility would not boot with UEFI enabled. UEFI would need to be changed to Legacy or CSM boot. There is a program called Rufus that can create bootable USB flash drives using the iso. That may allow you to boot from a UEFI system. Just throwing this out in case you run across this problem again.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2016 - 02:17 PM.

#5 Microcola

Microcola

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

You could have removed the hard drive temporarily and plug it into another PC's sata connections. Then you could have accessed & backed up all the users files onto a USB device and dropped them all back onto the PC later.  :hello:

#6 Microcola

Microcola

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

I have also found recently a Windows 8.1 full installation dvd has file recovery programmes built in which work perfectly for recovering files off Windows 10 Laptops & PC's without the need of removing the hard drive. Its a neat trick  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users