Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G62-225NR, recovery system

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

I'm trying to fix a friends laptop model listed above.  He has had it for at least 7 years.  I did a system recovery and now it will not upgrade any of the windows system files. 

I had left the laptop with him figuring, no big deal, just watch for the upgrades and they never came in.  I've tried installing the different Microsoft Windows agent upgrades and it still won't work.  The update bar just keeps moving and never brings in any updates.  A few other weird things are happening and it just is soooo slow and using up to 100% of the CPU and RAM with nothing running.  Also removed all 'fluff' programs from HP and only bar bones on start up. 

I was going to try to do the recovery again and now the system icon thinks that the AC Charger is never plugged in (although it is and it is working); so therefore it will not let me do the system recovery again.

So then being the smart ass I am, I thought, okay, I'll just get rid of the system partitions and reformat the drive and reload Win 7 and then get the drivers I need from HP.

Well LOW & BEHOLD, HP no longer supports this product.

My question:  Should I recommend that he just purchase a new laptop.  I'm not a fan of systems that are no longer supported by the mfg.

Thanks,

TryN2Learn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:00 PM

If you wiped the drives download this utility and use it to download your WIndows 7 version shown on the COA sticker. Get the 64bit version. You will need to do a phone activation. 

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

I'm not sure why HP doesn't list drivers for this model. They usually do even if the model is no longer sold. You can download the drivers direct from HP on this site

http://hpnotebookdrivers.com/model/hp-g62-225nr-notebook-pc-drivers/

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

Thank you JohnC_21

I do have an installation disc I purchased that has multiple versions of Win 7, so I should be able to use that.  As far as the drives, thank you so much for the link.  The good news is I've called to do the phone activation before.  So now, it's a matter of giving it a try.  To be honest, I'd rather wipe down the drive and get rid of all the fluff ware that installs and the partitions created by HP.

Thanks again for your assistance!!  Wish me luck, giving it a try today.

#4 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

This should have been so easy....

I have now tried to do the system restore.  No joy after the Win 7 SP1 installs.  The windows updates just keeps cycling and never stops and never finds anymore updates. 

So I decided to go ahead and just wipe the drives and install from a Win 7 SP1 64 installation disk.  That didn't work, so I burned from your link the new installation disk.  That didn't work.  Then I woke up to the fact that this only has a CD reader in it.  From what I've read Win 7 SP1 64 bit is to large to fit on a CD.  And the BIOS does not show that the USB drive can be bootable.

I'm at a loss here.  Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

Does the front of the optical drive say DVD or something similar like lightsribe. It's hard to believe the computer doesn't have a DVD drive.

According to your specs the computer has a DVD/lightscribe optical drive. I think the problem arises because a Windows disk cannot boot from a UEFI computer.

On a HP you should be able to set your boot device to USB. I have an old compaq CQ60 which can boot from USB. Rufus allows you to create a bootable USB flash drive with the iso file. Use MBR partition scheme with BIOS or UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is in the dropdown box select iso image, click on the icon, and browse to the Windows 7 iso file.

Attach the flash drive and tap F9 while booting. This should bring up a boot menu where you can select the flash drive as a boot device.

#6 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

You are correct.  I've been updating all the drives as apparently they never let HP update anything including the BIOS.  I'm making a USB of Win 7 SP1 64 bit with Rufus right now.  I'll give that a try.  Thanks and I'll let you know.

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:43 PM

JohnC_21

You are a genius!  Worked beautifully.  Hope I didn't goof anything up.  I removed all partitions and now to hard plug into the network and download the drivers from the link you provided.

I honestly think that because it was a Win 7 machine without the SP1, when that downloaded, that was the end of any updates.  But also, I don't think they have ever let the HP Assistant ever update anything on the machine.  This thing had the original BIOS version it shipped with. 

Seems to be working fine, will see what happens once I get all the drivers installed.  I've been at this thing all day (except for making dinner and cleaning up)!

Thank you so much!!!  I've learned something new again!!  Now to fine out what the UEFI thing is.  Still don't know why the bootable disks didn't work. (scratching my head)  :)

#8 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:46 PM

OK looked up the UEFI and understand that now.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Your Welcome. Glad everything is running smooth now.

#10 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:14 PM

OK, got happy too quickly.  I have goofed around with this computer all day.  I found the rollup to put in all the updates at once and that worked.  But, I cannot get this unit to do automatic updates.  It hangs on the updating process.  I ran the update troubleshooter and it keeps giving me the error 0x8024402C.  I don't know how to fix this.

Any suggestions?  I'd like to return this thing but I do want to make sure that it will update correctly.  The machine is actually running faster than it has in probably 3 years now.  All shiny and clean install but won't update.

:(

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:13 PM

You first need to download and install IE11 if not already. Also .NET 4.6.1. After downloading those two go here and download the updates listed as well as the latest Update client. Windows 7 has had serious update problems since the intro of Windows 10. Reboot after installing all updates. Try Windows Update again.

If you still have problems download the June 2016 rollup package and it prerequisite KB3020369   

If you have problem installing the above updates then download and run the Windows Update Readiness Tool. You may want to run this tool first.

You may find that the manual updates do not install. It is because the Windows Update Service has already started. You can either temporarily disable the service or reboot and immediately install the updates as the Update Service has a delayed start.

#12 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

OMG!!!  It's like playing a race, how fast can you stop the waua service and quickly click on one of the manual updates.  I did them all successfully including the stack update again to make sure it was there and MS has you go directly to the July 2016 rollup package.  Playing games with stopping the service to finally disabling for the rollup.

Rebooting right now and will try the updates.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:31 PM

It still may take an hour or two before Windows 7 finds any updates or it could be in minutes. Ever since Windows 10 updates on Windows 7 have been hit and miss. 

#14 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:33 PM

WooHoo!!!  Ran updates for 17 minutes and it came back with 65 important updates ready to install!!  I can't thank you enough!!

I'm really ticked at Microsoft!!!  Why do they continue to do things and then not properly document them?  It's like they want you to fail with Win 7!

Again, thanks so much!!

TryN

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

No Problem, Glad it all worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users