Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Pro licensing and language

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I am looking for little advise. I am reinstalling my laptop windows (recovery partition has been removed) using OEM DVD with Windows 7. License on the back of the laptop is for Spanish version (laptop bought in Spain) and will like to use UK version of Windows 7. Got ISO of UK version of Windows 7 and wonder if will accept my license?

Or need to be installed in Spanish and then change language to EN.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/reusing-windows-7-oem-product-key-for-installation/080f81b1-dae1-4254-8386-219ad59ae868

Because you are using the key on the sticker you will probably need to use phone activation.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

Hi Optimus Prime,

Can you post what is written on the Windows COA after the Operating System name please?

Windows_7_Pro_COA_Label_Sticker_License_

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, this what I hoped for :)

Hi Optimus Prime,

Can you post what is written on the Windows COA after the Operating System name please?

Windows_7_Pro_COA_Label_Sticker_License_

Very similar what on yours Windows 7 Pro OA

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

Very similar what on yours Windows 7 Pro OA

If the isn't any reference to a region on the COA the key can be used to activate Windows anywhere. AFAIK the keys are not specific to a language.

When there is a specific region on the COA the key can only be activated automatically on that particular region don't know if Microsoft allow the activation by phone from a different region!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

Hi, I am looking for little advise. I am reinstalling my laptop windows (recovery partition has been removed) using OEM DVD with Windows 7. License on the back of the laptop is for Spanish version (laptop bought in Spain) and will like to use UK version of Windows 7. Got ISO of UK version of Windows 7 and wonder if will accept my license?

Or need to be installed in Spanish and then change language to EN.

Thanks

Since Windows 7 is on the bottom the key, which launches the supplied Windows DVD, ie it is the installing code, but not the activation code.
If you had bought a pc and there was installed activated OEM Windows version then the Windows will be automatically activated after the installation. Admittedly, sometimes it will take several days before it is activated. If You want use some other Windows version, You must use or other key or something else, to activate this version.
If it is an OEM activated pc,  then there isn't any location related restrictions.
But if You want to use RTL Windows version, then it need new key.

Edited by kaljukass, 01 August 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:56 PM

Since Windows 7 is on the bottom the key, which launches the supplied Windows DVD, ie it is the installing code, but not the activation code.
If you had bought a pc and there was installed activated OEM Windows version then the Windows will be automatically activated after the installation. Admittedly, sometimes it will take several days before it is activated. If You want use some other Windows version, You must use or other key or something else, to activate this version.

The auto activation only happens with Windows 8 and above not with Windows 7. Windows 7 activation can be bypassed when a factory restore is done because it preserves the activation due to Certificate + Key + BIOS.

If it is an OEM activated pc,  then there isn't any location related restrictions.
But if You want to use RTM Windows version, then it need new key.

The OP have Windows 7 OEM and is reinstalling the same machine with Windows 7 so why does it need a new key???

Edited by SleepyDude, 01 August 2016 - 03:57 PM.

___
Rui

#8 kaljukass

kaljukass

• Banned
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:33 PM

Interestingly why. I have abundantly available Dell Windows 7, OEM activated (purchased with Windows 7) and everything works.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

One simple attempt...would eliminate all this speculation.

Louis

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,077 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

Interestingly why. I have abundantly available Dell Windows 7, OEM activated (purchased with Windows 7) and everything works.

Yes if you restore from the Recovery partition or use a Windows 7 DVD provided by DELL.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users