Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G60 issue - new screen, but it's blank!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stratovani

stratovani

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:24 AM

I've got a problem with my laptop, a 2010 HP G60-635DX. First, a little history. This was my wife's laptop until she dropped it and broke the display screen. We hooked it up to a monitor and she was good to go. Last Christmas I got her a new computer and again she was all set. In the meanwhile I've been using this old Dell laptop from 2006 with WinXP in it. Works, but is slow as all get out. A few months ago I decided to use my wife's old computer for myself. It comes with Windows 7 and works quite well. Last June I made the mistake of trying the Windows 10 upgrade, and what a disaster that turned out to be. So I reverted back to Win7, but I lost all the drivers that came with it, so I was stuck. So recently I bought a new screen for my wife's old computer, and I installed it today. So guess what? The screen works fine, but all I get is a blank white screen. Nothing at all! It's as if the computer can't display anything at all. I even tried accessing the BIOS, and pushing all the function buttons does nothing. I just don't understand it. The computer fires up, but that's it. No start screen, no nothing. Just a blank white screen.

Anybody have any ideas as to what's wrong, and how I could fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

The screen could be DOA. Also check your cable connection again. Does an external monitor still work?

http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2008/04/13/laptop-lcd-screen-turned-white/

#3 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:33 AM

I just tried hooking up an external monitor to my computer, and all the monitor said was "no signal", then went black. The screen I installed functions exactly like it should, but with no signal from the computer. I suspect that all the drivers were obliterated from the hard drive when I reverted back to Windows 7. Since I can't access the BIOS I'm going to have to try something else. I really don't want to have to shell out any more big bucks on this computer when it's really only worth about $100 to $150 on eBay.

Anyone else have any ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

If you get "no signal" with both attached and external monitors...my thoughts would go to the system.  Lack of drivers would not explain the "no signal", since Windows will always employ a default graphics driver when a system is first booted.

Louis

#5 stratovani

stratovani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

I got the computer working! Last night I rechecked the connections to the screen and made sure that they were solid, then all of a sudden the Startup Utility came on, asking me what I wanted to do. So I opted to wipe the HD clean and revert it to the original factory specs (don't worry, i have all important files backed up already). I made sure the connector cable was in there good, then I stuck a piece of electrical tape on it just for safety. Now the computer runs as good as new, and I don't have to spend any money taking it in to a shop.

The moral of the story is this - always check and recheck your connections. Lesson learned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users