Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ipod Problem- Usb Device Not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

I have used my video iPod just fine for the past two years. However recently I had to reinstall Windows XP Service Pack 2 Media Center Edition on my Dell Inspiron 6000.

Below are my computer specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JESSE-17217293D
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 6000
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1596 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A09, 9/28/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name JESSE-17217293D\Jesse Bassett
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 93.86 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Now onto the problem:

Whenever I plug in my iPod, I get an odd session of pop-ups. First it says that its a USB Memory Device. Then it says its an unknown device, followed by a "device installed" message. Right after that, I get a "USB Device has malfunctioned and Windows Does Not Recognize It. Please repair or replace the device." error. This happens on every USB port, front and back, top and bottom. Here is what I have tried so far:

Wrong Solution #2:
Missing USB .dll file - One website recommended checking to see if you were missing a .dll file that is necessary for USB 2.0 drivers to work. Since I had the file in the right folder, that wasn't the problem.

Wrong Solution #3:
Reset The iPod Video - This was probably the most common initial response, and was, of course, completely useless. You can reset your iPod by holding down both the Menu button and the center button for a few seconds. Sometimes it would seem to work and the iPod would connect, but other times it wouldn't do anything. Again, this is not the solution.

Wrong Solution #4:
Restore the iPod to Factory Settings - This is what was recommended by the iTunes software in the error message above. This solution, however, is the most annoying of them all. Why? Because I couldn't get the damn iPod to connect to a computer to reset it!!! The only way to reset an iPod to the factory settings is to connect it to a computer that has the iPod Updater software installed on it. And since the problem was with getting the iPod to connect to the computer in the first place, this was even worse than useless.

Wrong Solution #5:
Put the iPod into Disk Mode - A little known feature of the iPod is the ability to put it into Disk Mode. Apparently this turns your iPod into a fancy storage drive, but it doesn't solve the connection problem. Once again, useless.

Wrong Solution #6:
Revert your USB ports to 1.0 - Some "genius" on one forum suggested reverting your USB ports back to 1.0. A real winning solution. This isn't even possibly on most computers (unless your original hardware has USB 1.0 ports). Don't even bother with this one...

Wrong Solution #7:
Out of options, I broke down and tried the two solutions I didn't think would work but had not tried. I reinstalled iTunes. No luck! Then I reformatted my Windows XP computer. Yep, I reformatted the whole damn thing - spent an entire afternoon fussing with it (I'm actually pretty good at it and don't mind doing it every now and then, so it wasn't that big of a deal). Guess what? Reformatting didn't do a damn thing. I still had the same connection problem!!!

So... after all of this.... should I take my iPod to the Apple Store or consider selling it? OR.... is there hope for me, and if so, what must I do?

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner

• Members
  • 1,383 posts
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 26 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

hi mate.try connecting yer ipod up to a mates pc an if it works on that try installin the drivers for it again on your pc with the disc that came with it!if youve tried both of these sell it! :thumbsup:

Edited by arny, 26 August 2006 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users