Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diskpart imaging issue with newer model Lenovo

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 educationfiend

educationfiend

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:18 AM

Hello,

I am trying to deploy an image onto a newer model Lenovo M900 PC.  I use a bootable USB to get to diskpart then imagex to deploy the image.

The USB stick containing the .wim image file will not display in diskpart.  Its recognized during BIOS boot, however once within the windows command prompt section where you use the diskpart and imagex commands, it won't display or be recognized.

I have a feeling its something to do with this newer model Lenovo having only USB 3.0..  I had to enable USB Virtual KBC Support to get the USB keyboard working in BIOS initially as well, however still no USB memory sticks displaying :(

Any ideas?

Thanks 

Mod Edit:  Merged posted topics - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2016 - 08:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

You are right about the USB 3 issue. Windows 7 does not have native USB 3 drivers. 

Maybe this page will help. Good Luck.

http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-ports/

#3 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Thank you very much indeed, this is hugely helpful.

Unfortunately when I try and amend boot.wim with the dism command I get the following message:

Error: 0xc1510113

The specified image does not exist in the WIM.

Check the WIM first for existing images.

Apologies, I am not overly familiar with creating boot images etc..  I just have a USB to boot to the command prompt where I use diskpart to format the C: drive, then another USB stick with the image.wim file on to use imagex to deploy.

The only idea i've had so far is to obtain a .bin or .iso of a different boot image for a USB to get to the command prompt, one I can successfully edit boot.wim to get the USB3 drivers on and then hopefully the image will deploy OK?

Or hope theres an additional HD port internally I can use to deploy with?  Don't think so though, its a very small form factor.

Thanks again.

Edited by educationfiend, 01 August 2016 - 03:18 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Trust me, I am not familiar with this procedure either. I only know that Windows 7 does not have USB 3 drivers as part of its install. The computer specs lists USB 2 as optional. 

I found this on that error and a possible solution.

I guess a workaround would be to install a cheap USB 2 PCI card. 

Edit: I don't know if it will help but here is another step by step from SuperUser which is a pretty good tech site.

http://superuser.com/questions/278888/how-does-one-install-windows-7-using-usb-3

If you need an iso of Windows 7, and I am guessing you already have one, you can download it using this tool.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2016 - 03:34 PM.

#5 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

Thanks for all your input JohnC_21, you really are a god send.

I did it in reverse in the end..  put the hard drive in a different PC then reimaged it, put it back in the original PC then got the epic driver software Driverbooster to search out all the drivers and then it works lovely.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:10 AM

Nice. Glad you got it sorted out and thank your for taking the time to post your solution. 

If I may ask, by imaging to a different PC would there not be a driver conflict due to the computers having different hardware or were the computers essentially identical?

#7 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:28 AM

No, there are indeed many driver conflicts.  I use Driverbooster to automatically install all this missing drivers once put back in the original PC.

Do you think this could be a risky way of doing things which may come back to bite me if I use the same method for a fleet?  Seems to work OK.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

Personally, I don't think this is an optimal solution. You need to stream your USB 3 drivers into Windows 7. 

http://www.sarducd.it/forum/english-forum/windows-7-usb-3-0-slipstream-drivers-t1287.html

The above link also mentions a GUI front end for imageX.

Also a youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd37BJwTxiM

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 August 2016 - 01:36 PM.

#9 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

No, there are indeed many driver conflicts.  I use Driverbooster to automatically install all this missing drivers once put back in the original PC.

Do you think this could be a risky way of doing things which may come back to bite me if I use the same method for a fleet?  Seems to work OK.

I would not use DriverBooster. You are relying on DriverBooster to do the job correctly, which it frequently does not.  There is no reason you can not download and install drivers manually, it's relatively easy.

Never Download a Driver Updating Utility

Driver Booster made me reinstall Windows 10 from scratch

Programs like that are often made to confuse or scare users into buying a "premium version". Best to avoid them altogether, as they are completely unnecessary.

#10 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:44 AM

Good call guys, although its performing well, its bad practice.

#11 educationfiend

educationfiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:41 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to put a company image using imagex on a Toshiba Z40 via booting from USB.  For some reason the F12 Boot Menu is some strange GUI, and when I select USB it simply won't work.  I doubt its a USB3 issue.

Does anyone have any other tricks to force this laptop to boot from USB?  Running out of ideas.

Thanks,

educationfiend

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,427 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:41 AM

First make sure SecureBoot is Disabled. If I remember correctly there is a setting in UEFI to enable and disable F12 for a boot menu. If that is enabled then see if changing your UEFI to Legacy or CSM boot helps.

How did you create the bootable flash drive.

From your other thread would it be possible to create a bootable Windows 8 USB flash drive with the required image and use it to boot. Windows 8 has native USB 3 drivers. You should still disable SecureBoot if you plan on imaging a Windows 7 OS on the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users