Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uncooled hard drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 j1983

j1983

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

I'm looking at two cases which can fit four hdd's. I've narrowed it down to a silverstone ps12 and a Sharkoon m1000.

The ps12 is ideal because it's smaller and has all four drives in a cage behind the fan meaning they get good airflow through them.  The four drives would be grouped in sets of two meaning two drives, one above the other with virtually no spacing between them and then a 1cm or so gap between them and the next set of two drives.  I don't like the idea of them stacked up like this but at least there is the fan blowing air through them.

I like the Sharkoon better, it's build quality and materials are way better. It also has better value being the same price but coming with two fans, 140mm front and 120mm rear as well as two usb2.0 and two usb 3.0 at the front compared to the two 3.0's on the silverstone.  I can always buy a 120mm rear fan and a 5.25 usb 3.0 bay for the sliverstone but it's nice to have all that already installed.

My only issue with this case, is that it allows for two drives vertically stored, one on top of the other, on the lower side of the case in front of the fan while the other two would have to be placed in the upper part exposed 3.5 bay and converted 5.25 bay right below the disk drive.  Both these would be generating heat without any airflow from the front fan. I'm wondering if the rear exhaust would be sufficient to move air from the upper front part where the additional two drives are located.

My pc would be on 24/7 and I'm thinking the silverstone would be slightly better of the two in terms of cooling or airflow through the drives in the long run. 

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=618&area=en

https://www.sharkoon.com/product/1679/13906#desc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:31 AM

I run 4 HDDs (well, now it's 1 SSD and 3 HDDs) in my Apevia case with no problems; they are set with about 1" between each one and so far no problems for a couple of years with overheating. I have a side fan, 120mm rear vent fan and a top blow-hole fan.

The four drives would be grouped in sets of two meaning two drives, one above the other with virtually no spacing between them

I guess I would be pretty concerned about that; IMHO there should be some space for air flow.

Of course, remember that not all of these drives will be operating constantly when you are booted. And if you enable the Windows option to shut down drives to conserve energy they may run even cooler.

I like the fan setup of your Sharkoon, except this caught my eye (boldface is mine):

The internal mounting area of the case allows installation of two 3.5" HDDs, or alternatively up to three 2.5" SSDs.

I think you want 4, correct?

Finally, IMHO fan filters are a must; the Silverstone offers filters, but is a bit unclear as to how their vent system is set up or how many and what type of fans.  I added a metal filter to my case and my 120mm liquid cooling system clogs it up and must be cleaned every week. I can only imagine what my case would look like by now on the inside without the filters!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:46 AM

Thanks. I'm reading up on air cooling basics now. 

One quick thing I noticed was the fans on the Sharkoon connect to the motherboard and the psu. I don't know what that means but i don't think I noticed it with the Silverstone. 

Both have plastic slip on filters at the front. 

The four drives would be grouped in sets of two meaning two drives, one above the other with virtually no spacing between them

I guess I would be pretty concerned about that; IMHO there should be some space for air flow.

Of course, remember that not all of these drives will be operating constantly when you are booted. And if you enable the Windows option to shut down drives to conserve energy they may run even cooler.

I like the fan setup of your Sharkoon, except this caught my eye (boldface is mine):

Yeah, I don't like it either, from the sample images there seems to be less than 2mm space between the drives which is less than I would like but at least there is a fan blowing air through them.

Here's a pic of the Silverstone HDD cage, it's hard to see from this angle just how much space separates the drives:

SilverStone-PS12-5.jpg?w=800

I think you want 4, correct?

The internal mounting area of the case allows installation of two 3.5" HDDs, or alternatively up to three 2.5" SSDs.

Finally, IMHO fan filters are a must; the Silverstone offers filters, but is a bit unclear as to how their vent system is set up or how many and what type of fans.  I added a metal filter to my case and my 120mm liquid cooling system clogs it up and must be cleaned every week. I can only imagine what my case would look like by now on the inside without the filters!

Yeah this is the set up for the Sharkoon m1000, the other two would be above the fan on this case, in the exposed 3.5'' bay and there is some kind of reversible bracket to fit a 3.5'' drive in the spare 5.25 bay directly under the cd drive.

Another concern apart from now fan, is being in the upper part of the case and how hot air rises, there seems to be nowhere for the heat generated by the drives to go if I were to put them in these locations.  I don't know if the lower fan or the rear exhaust would be sufficient to move air or heat away from the upper front part of the pc.   

Edited by j1983, 01 August 2016 - 07:48 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

Warm air will naturally move up from the bottom of the case, while cool air naturally will descend to the bottom.

IMO...hard drives overheating doesn't normally result from placement within a system...but rather is an indicator that something electro-mechanical is going wrong with the drive which is probably going to result in drive replacement.

Louis

#5 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with them, the high temps may have something to do with the fact that the ambient temp in my room during the summer gets to about 30-31c. Also the the computer is positioned with one side right next to the wall, although the front and rear are clear of any obstruction.

Warm air will naturally move up from the bottom of the case, while cool air naturally will descend to the bottom.

Does warm air generated near the front upper half of the pc get pulled to the rear by exhaust fans positioned lower than they are or do they stagnate in that area?   Having skimmed through some articles on air cooling and looked at a few diagrams, it seems the upper front part of the case does not get a whole lot of airflow and just does not seem ideal for housing peripherals that generate heat such as hard drives.

All my drives in the current pc get no direct cooling, two are next to air vents and run a few degrees cooler than the two I've put up on the 5.25 bays which are the ones that go up into the 50's sometimes.  I'd like to avoid the same thing happening with my next pc case if possible.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:22 PM

A drive where the temp is 50 or above...is a drive that I would run a hard drive diagnostic on right away...and be prepared to replace such.

FWIW:  Every hard drive that has gone into the 50-plus range on my systems...was an older drive, with some dating back 10 years or so.  Considering that the warranty period for any of those dirves was a max of 3 years...I was not surprised when they developed problems.

Louis

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

One quick thing I noticed was the fans on the Sharkoon connect to the motherboard and the psu. I don't know what that means

If I understand you correctly, that means the there are sockets for 3 & 4 pole fans on the mobo you will use, and the standard 4 pin plugs coming off the power supply. The case fans will connect to either of those depending on what the plug on the fan is.

I might also just mention....be sure to check out how many USB3 ports there are on those cases; USB3 is in and USB2 is on its way out. For the life of me I can't understand why these manufacturers are still providing USB2 ports. Many cases I check out on Newegg even have only one (1) USB3 port, and any others are USB2. USB3 is backwards-compatible with USB2 so there is no excuse for not providing the latest technology. Example: I have wireless keyboard and mouse, wireless USB dongle for internet access (saves a slot inside my box), and a USB docking station for backup drives. Thats 4 USB ports used, leaving one empty for use with thumb drives (which I use all the time).

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

For the life of me I can't understand why these manufacturers are still providing USB2 ports. Many cases I check out on Newegg even have only one (1) USB3 port, and any others are USB2. USB3 is backwards-compatible with USB2 so there is no excuse for not providing the latest technology.

All because it says "backwards compatible" does not mean it is 100% true. There are plenty of USB 2.0 devices that will not work on a 3.0 port. I encounter them frequently at my job.

#9 j1983

j1983
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:45 PM

A drive where the temp is 50 or above...is a drive that I would run a hard drive diagnostic on right away...and be prepared to replace such.

FWIW:  Every hard drive that has gone into the 50-plus range on my systems...was an older drive, with some dating back 10 years or so.  Considering that the warranty period for any of those dirves was a max of 3 years...I was not surprised when they developed problems.

Louis

I've got the new Silverstone case now, they seem to be running cooler although ambient temps are a little lower today than they are normally due to there being a typhoon passing through. 

I had two drives in my old case stacked on top of another, separated by a thin sponge with no airflow and they were frequently above 50c. Glad to have them in a proper case now. 

One quick thing I noticed was the fans on the Sharkoon connect to the motherboard and the psu. I don't know what that means

If I understand you correctly, that means the there are sockets for 3 & 4 pole fans on the mobo you will use, and the standard 4 pin plugs coming off the power supply. The case fans will connect to either of those depending on what the plug on the fan is.

I might also just mention....be sure to check out how many USB3 ports there are on those cases; USB3 is in and USB2 is on its way out. For the life of me I can't understand why these manufacturers are still providing USB2 ports. Many cases I check out on Newegg even have only one (1) USB3 port, and any others are USB2. USB3 is backwards-compatible with USB2 so there is no excuse for not providing the latest technology. Example: I have wireless keyboard and mouse, wireless USB dongle for internet access (saves a slot inside my box), and a USB docking station for backup drives. Thats 4 USB ports used, leaving one empty for use with thumb drives (which I use all the time).

It's all good now, the new case has fans theat connect to the motherboard only (4pin) and no need for any other type of additional power source which is great since this is a tiny case and cable management is a nightmare. 

I like 2.0's they can still be used to power fans and lights and stuff. My case comes with 2 3.0's. Some of the others still have 2.0's but many of the older models I've looked at seem to have been updated to include at least one 3.0 otherwise most people overlook them in favor of the ones with the faster connections. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users