Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Unit Making Noises

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jade31

Jade31

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:25 AM

I am not sure what coincides with what but I will give a full description of what has been happening in hopes I can replace simple things on my computer.

This was a custom built tower from an ebay seller I bought almost three years ago, a little less than 1 1/2 years ago I downloaded Civilization V from Amazon.com and the next day I could not start up my computer because it would hang on the windows screen, when I unplugged my mouse it would no longer hang on the Windows start up logo and work but a knocking noise started at the same time.  It was not frequent so I ignored it.  Ten months ago, I replaced the graphics card thinking that may solve the issue and six months ago I replaced both my gaming mouse and keyboard and my windows no longer hangs but now I am getting blue screens, or my computer just shuts off and the knocking noise has persisted and has become worse.  For the last six months it makes a horrible Brrrmm/knocking (not metalic noise) a few minutes after start up, then it would take longer for it to start knocking.  The BSD I noticed coincided without the knocking noise, if the knocking noise was happening (and once it starts it does not stop, nor is it consistent; like not a constant thumping noise but starts and stops randomly) then my computer will run for hours, I have tested it and gamed with high graphics for 8 hours and the only thing I get is a delay which is my internet, but if the noise isn't happening my computer shuts down in less than ten minutes.  Either a blue screen or it literally just turns itself off.  Also another note, if I am googling things, not images and the pages does not have much to load the noise lessens, I still hear the Brrmm/knocking but it is quiet but when I load youtube or a video game the sound intensifies and the Brrmm/knocking becomes more constant and picks up noise when the game or anything I am loading on a page that is graphically intensive.

I took off the side panel of my tower and checked all my fans, they are not making noise, the noise is distinctly coming from the PSU and when it just shuts down, I have to use the manual power switch on the back of the tower in order to reboot my computer.  From what I can guess, it is overheating, or maybe I am using too much power for the hardware installed.  Also to note, the power box is hot to the touch.  It hasn't melted any wires but I am concerned as to what is the issue and I can't find anything directly linking my problems with others.  The fan isn't hitting anything, but since my computer shuts down when the fan doesn't knock I'm assuming the fan isn't starting and my computer is shutting down to prevent overheating or damage.

Is there is a way to check the wattage of all my hardware against what my Power Supply supplies? Why would the fan not start up at first?  Does the power supply fan start up with power on or is it part of a boot order and starts later?  Lastly, does my power supply need to be replaced, cleaned or fixed?

Here is the specs of my computer from a program I downloaded called CPU-Z:

Power Supply

Model: ATX ILS-500R2 500W Power Supply by Inland

(500W Silver Series)

CPU

Name: AMD FX-4100

Max TDP: 95.0 W

Package: Socket AM3+ (942)

Specification: AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard

Manufacturer: BIOSTAR Group

Model: A960G+

Chipset: AMD 780G

Southbridge: AMD SB700

LCIO: ITE IT8728

BIOS

Brand: American Megatrends Inc.

Version: 080015

Graphic Interface

Version: PCI-Express

Link Width: x16

Max Supported: x16

Memory

Type: DDR3

Channel #: Dual

Size: 8 GBytes

NB Frequency: 1999.9 MHz

Graphics

Name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Board Manufacturer: EVGA Corp.

I probably posted too much info, but I have always noticed people do not post specs to their computer and are always asked for it to answer the question in depth.  If this seems to be more a software issue then I will ask this in a different forum as I am assuming it is a hardware issue so here I am.  I also have detailed diagnostic reports I know how to get from the performance monitor where I can see (but not understand) all the critical errors.  I am aware I may have a whole host of problems but I do thank you very much for your time, anything additional I need to add I will do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:19 AM

PSU looks to be low quality one. I recommend you replace it with something better. While 500 watts is more than enough, low quality PSU may cause many problems.

And this one:

Also to note, the power box is hot to the touch.

More than enough reason to stop using that PSU immediately.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 01 August 2016 - 06:26 AM.

#3 Jade31

Jade31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:32 AM

Ok, I am still learning about the different quality of hardware and I have learned since researching the specs on my computer that everything this guy 'custom built' I bought the computer from is all low quality or generic brands.  Like the motherboard I have never heard of, but yes I will replace the PSU.  Thank you very much for your input.

#4 Jade31

Jade31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:43 AM

A few more questions if you don't mind.

What brands should I look for?  I installed the graphics card and it was really easy, is installing a PSU easy as well?  I just looked up youtube video's for the graphics card. 

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

Drilling Machine is spot on. In my younger and foolish days, my PS started making noise. At the time I was working and in the middle of a major project so I kept procrastinating, and one day there was a strong smell of hot plastic, smoke and a loud "pop" from the case, and the computer went dead in the middle of a graphics project. Long story short, the PS fan bearings went bad and finally it got so hot it shorted. I then had the privilege of learning all about corrupted partitions and how to finally get your valuable data off the corrupted Windows system, which took several days. Of course, I didn't bother with a backup system, after all, I was a computer cowboy. Yahoo. :rolleyes:

Ok, I will let Drilling Machine take over his thread now.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:03 AM

A few more questions if you don't mind.

What brands should I look for?  I installed the graphics card and it was really easy, is installing a PSU easy as well?  I just looked up youtube video's for the graphics card. 

There are quite few companies that actually manufacture PSU's. Many companies buy PSU's from these manufacturers and then slap their sticker on it. So it's more brand+model, not just model.

Some examples (rating scale: crap, low quality, medium quality, high quality, very high quality, top notch):

Medium quality https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CX600-Supply-Bronze-Certified/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1470056448&sr=8-4&keywords=corsair+cx500

High quality https://www.amazon.com/Standard-supply-Seasonic-S12II-430B/dp/B0065AOAHI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1470055755&sr=8-2

Very high quality https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Continuous-Crossfire-220-GS-0550-V1/dp/B00UVN20UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470055841&sr=8-1

(left out crap, low and top notch as not applicable to this machine)

Installing PSU is harder than installing video card. You must take off every connector that goes from PSU to parts (motherboard ATX 24-pin + EPS 12V 8 pin, all drive connectors, connectors to videocard, fans etc), take out old PSU, put new PSU in place and then do first part in reverse (plug all connectors you took off at first stage).

#7 Jade31

Jade31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:10 PM

Thank you very much for all the info, yes I was being foolish and procrastinating lol but not now, so I will buy a high quality because I bought this full ATX tower to eventually install all high or very high quality hardware.  I have a computer guy who I will ask to price installing the PSU, I am not a fan of dealing with anything electrical so I may ask him if it is not too expensive.  Thank you again!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 08:52 AM

Installing or uninstalling a PSU from a desktop...is one of the easiest tasks possible when exchanging desktop components.  It simply involves disconnecting all cables from the PSU to all other components...removing 3-4 screws from the back of the system...and doing the exchange, reconnecting everything with the new PSU.

References

Paying someone to install or remove a PSU...is not something I would suggest to anyone...any more than I would suggest paying someone to install/remove a hard drive.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users