Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove superfluous operating system/partition

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bobang

Bobang

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:55 AM

Presently dual booting between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

I want to completely remove Windows 8.1 and append the resulting free space to Windows 10.

How should I go about it? (screen shot below)

Regards to all,

Bobang

Attached Files

Bobang

in all things be men

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:52 AM

I advice to create backup of the personal files on Windows 8.1 partition do the same with other partitions as you will be deleting Windows 8.1 partition and data store on that partition.

Step 1:

First create yourself a Windows 10 System Repair Disc.
Windows System Repair Disc can be created containing the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) i recommend creating a Windows Repair Disc to anybody without a Windows OS installation DVD.

Create a Windows 10 Recovery Drive

Even if your PC can't start, you can use the Recovery drive to reset it or troubleshoot problems. If you back up system files to this drive, you'll also be able to use it to reinstall Windows.
Open your Start menu, type RecoveryDrive.exe in the search box, press Enter key.
Check or Uncheck the Back up system files to the recovery drive box for what you want to do, and click on Next button.
Select the USB flash drive (ex: "E:\ (USB)" ) you want to make a recovery drive, and click on Next button.
When ready to start, click on Create button.

Step 2:
You have to quickly edit the boot menu once Windows is installed.

1. In Windows, press the 7W6b39o.pngkeys;
2. Type msconfig into Run dialog box that has opened and click on OK;
3. Click on the Boot tab from System Configuration at the top;
4. Click 'Windows 8.1 entry and click on the Delete button;
5. Select the Windows 10 entry and click Set as default button.
6. Click OK;

0sLY7Fi.jpg

6. Click on 'Exit without restart';

And lastly, delete the Windows 8.1 partition this will free space on the HDD which you can extend to the C: partition with the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition.

1.  Within MiniTool Partition Wizard select the Windows 8.1 partition;
2.  From the left pane click on “Delete Partition”;
3.  Click on the OK button and click on Apply from the toolbar;
4.  Within MiniTool Partition Wizard select the C: partition and click on "Move/Resize" to enter the next interface;
5.  Increase the C: partition size by dragging the right arrow of the scroll bar to the right or directly entering accurate values in the text boxes below;

SQMjOA9.png

After

jFIqCWC.png

6.  After you're done with the settings, click on the "OK" button;
7.    Click on Apply in the toolbar;
8.    Click on the “Restart Now” button on the Notice dialog box;

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

I have to go offline for a while please don't do anything you don't understand wait for me to explain to you before doing anything you are not sure of.

2GvnEq2.gif

#4 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:41 AM

Hello FreeBooter,

Many thanks for the step-by-step.

In fact I have since early morning been backing up the partition on Disc 2 (G:) which is an external drive. It is showing that it has still over 3 hours to go, so I won't be doing much in this area before you get back!

I am using Acronis True Image 2016 and also have the latest Acronis Disc Director 12. So we will use those to resize etc. I do have Windows 8 AIK as well as the Windows 8.1 DVD or better still I will in the meanwhile download the one for Windows 10 which one can always use in the future, though I don"t see much future in the tell tale Windows 10!

Let me know if there is anything else we need. I will definitely get back to you before I embark on this task.

Regards,

Bobang

Bobang

in all things be men

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

Hi Bobang

Even do i myself also have Acronis True Image 2016 i never have used the Acronis Disc Director my advice to you is to use the  MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition. Don't risk anything by trying my instruction on a software i have never tested or used but i have use the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition and my instructions will help you accomplish your task for sure and if you get stuck any where i would able to give you advices for resolving any issue or part of instructions you may be having trouble with.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 August 2016 - 11:38 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Alright, I have downloaded the Mini Tool Partition Wizard and I will get cracking.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Bobang

in all things be men

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

You will be okay good luck!

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:00 AM

Hi Bobang

As you have not reported the result of my instructions can we think of as your question has been answered by my instructions? 

2GvnEq2.gif

#9 Bobang

Bobang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi FreeBooter,

Yes, of course all went well without a hitch and thanks a lot.

Sorry, I could not relay you the success in the matter last night - got stuck in a long private conversation - till it got too late!

Have a nice day in the meantime..

Bobang

in all things be men

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:24 AM

I'm glad to know you did not have any issue by following my instructions. Thanks for letting us know, you have a nice day as well.

Take Care!

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users