Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Coffee Dan

Coffee Dan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Just a short time ago, my computer (without warning or other indication) suddenly rebooted itself. Once it did so, and my desktop came back up, my spyware program alerted me, so I went to see what it was the alert was about...

It indicated I had a spyware item, and the item was id'd as a "kernel fault checker"

I chose to remove this item as opposed to putting it in quarantine, and the computer is seemingly running just fine now...

I also ran a spyware scan and complete antivirus scan after I removed the item, and the computer was clean and nothing was else found...

If it helps ... the version of Windows XP Home Edition I'm using is the upgrade version, and I upgraded from Windows 98SE .. would that have anything too do with what happened? Or, is this kernal fault checker something unique to XP?

I guess my questions are ... what is this kernal fault checker? And, will my computer be harmed by my having removed it?

I'm also wondering if I should just go back to Windows 98 SE and dump XP altogether ... if this is going to be a recurring problem I'll encounter with XP ... maybe I should?

Thanks...

Edited by Coffee Dan, 14 August 2006 - 03:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

It is not related to XP vs 98. It is something you want off your computer. See THIS.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users