Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Vintage" early 2000s Alienware M5500 Upgrade Help! :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iKokomo

iKokomo

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:22 PM

I bought a dirt cheap Alienware M5500 (pre-dell) laptop with an Intel Pentium M 2 GHZ a gig of ram and a nVidia GeForce Go 6600. It was in rough shape when I got it, but I fixed it all up! (new thermal paste, dusting, new OS) Runs very well now. 

Now, my plans for this system is to use this as a more "vintage" gaming computer. From late 90s to mid 2000s. It looks great and is a classic design.

My question is, what is the max upgrade I can do with this model? I believe that graphics card is MXM standard (see photo) and an old PC Mag review said I could upgrade it to a nVidia GeForce Go 7800GTX (only $20 extra today). Can I upgrade the card any higher? Is the card I have MXM and upgradable? (please see photo) 

Another question is, can I upgrade the CPU (pentium M included) any higher? Maybe a first gen dual core? 

I know an SSD will help, but IDE SSDs are very expensive and not nearly as efficient.

28073046303_2e8d39737c_b.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:00 AM

SSDs are very expensive and not nearly as efficient.

SSDs are fairly affordable now, and IDK what you mean by "not nearly as efficient" as they use MUCH less power compared to a HDD. Do you have a budget for this?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 iKokomo

iKokomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:32 AM

Ah, but this uses the old IDE technology, not the SATA you are used to. IDE are a lot more money per gigabyte then a SATA and being older technology (at least 10 years) they are not as efficient SATA. 

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 07:59 PM

You can get IDE to SATA adapters if its really worth it.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 August 2016 - 01:40 PM

As suggested, you can use a SATA hdd or ssd with a IDE adapter, but there is a huge difference it the two data transfer rates.

Max IDE data transfer speed is 133MB/ps       The max data transfer speed with a SATA drive is 6GB/ps.

So you will lose some speed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users