Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trivial question: wallpaper cycles stuck

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:40 PM

Recently I've updated two laptops, that originally had Windows 8 installed, first to 8.1 and then to Windows 10.  Each of them has shown the same sequence of wallpaper images (located at C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10) and then got permanently stuck on the last image.  The images in the above listed folder are labeled img1.jpg, img2.jpg, img3.jpg, img4.jpg and img13.jpg, the last being a vertically truncated version of img4.  The image that remains on the screen appears to be img4, a post-sunset wilderness nighttime campground scene with an illuminated tent and what appears to be a slightly overdone Milky Way above it.

Right-clicking anywhere on the screen produces a menu, among whose offerings are "Next desktop background" - but once you have reached img4, selecting "next desktop background" has no effect, leaving the tent scene unchanged.

My desktop machine was upgraded directly from Windows 7 Professional.  I decided immediately I did not like the Windows 10 wallpapers and replaced them with a set of wallpaper images taken from Windows 7 (which in this case was still on the hard drive under \windows.old\.  There were several folders with images that could be selected under Windows 7.  I copied several of those folders (the ones I liked) into a folder "Wallpaper" under "Pictures" (though I could have put it anywhere) and selected my favorite one as a "Slideshow".  I presume I can do the same on the laptops, putting into those folders any images I like.  It's not quite the same as creating themes - for instance, without a bit more work it doesn't come with custom sound effects - but it does give me eye-pleasing wallpaper and that was what I was after.  I can select any of those folders under \Pictures\Wallpaper\ and get a revolving display of whatever images I choose to put into the selected folder.  You can set the duration of each image (how often they change), the way it is displayed, and so on.

Right-click on the screen; select "Personalize", select "Background", select "Slideshow" and pick the folder in which are stored the images you want.  Not quite "themes" but as they say, good enough for Government work <G>.

So I know I can put up a rotation of any pictures I want (even including the ones in the original Windows 10 wallpaper folder, perhaps without img13).  My question here is a different one: can anybody figure out why the images in the original Win 10 wallpaper folder don't continue to rotate round and round the sequence, but stop at the end of the only 4 images in that folder?  It strikes me as very strange.

Actually if you dig a bit deeper into Windows 10 it starts to look even stranger.  Under "Wallpaper" there is a whole series of folders, many with the same names as the wallpaper folders in Windows 7, but most of them empty.  The one called "Windows 10" that I've already described looks as if it might be called "outdoor recreation" or something like that - a girl running on a beach, someone swimming with fins, an extreme rockclimber on an impressive cliff face, and a tent in the wilderness . . . Now Windows 10, when it starts up, fairly bombards the user with striking images.  A few of those appear in a folder called "\Screen\" but most of them do not (too bad, I'd like to put some of them into my slideshow!).  Is this a project somebody started, and then got sidetracked before it was finished?

Being too curious for my own good, I'll probably grab some of the Win 7 images, put them into the like-named folders in \Web\Wallpaper\ in Win 10, and see what happens if I select one of those folders not as a "slideshow" but as a theme?  Maybe it would need a custom win.ini file for each folder?  As you can see, I am fumbling around, don't quite have all this in my grasp yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:02 PM

You can copy many image you want to "C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10" folder i myself have copied my wallpaper images stored within Pictures folder and slideshow works . You can also create a folder any where at your user  profiles folder and save all images you want to add to slideshow add the folder for slideshow images this will works as well make sure all images extensions are .png and .jpg formats  picture formats i don't know much about you will need to test any other formats yourself.
You can do it old fashion way press Win + R keys to launch the Run window.

Copy/Paste below command to Run dialog window and click OK button.

control /name Microsoft.Personalization /page pageWallpaper 

Above command will open Desktop Background window where you can configure Windows slideshow feature.

You should run System File Checker command to repair any damage Windows system files including pictures located  at "C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10" folder.

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

2GvnEq2.gif

#3 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks, that's very helpful.

In the meantime I discovered, by accident, that running CCleaner restored - for one cycle only - the sequence of images in the Windows 10 folder.  It cycles around to the beginning (img1.jpg, girl running on beach with spectacular rocks in background), duly proceeds to the last file (img4.jpg, the nighttime camp scene), and then sticks there again.  I've now tried that on both machines, with the same result on both.

Another thing CCleaner does is remove cookies, including the one that maintains my login to the BC site <G>.  And yes, I know I can turn cookie cleaning off if I want.

I am still curious to know what exactly it is that is causing the cycle of images in \Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10 to get stuck at the end of each cycle.

EDIT - well, further events have made a liar out of me.  The home laptop, at least, is calmly cycling through all the photos in the \Windows 10 folder, over and over, not getting stuck any more.  I've no idea what I did (other than that already mentioned) to unstick it.  Go figure.

Edited by saluqi, 02 August 2016 - 12:18 AM.

#4 saluqi

saluqi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:03 PM

The problem appears to have solved itself on both laptops, although I still haven't the faintest idea how or why.  I have not again run CCleaner, and both machines are calmly cycling through all the files in their respective \Windows 10 folders, including both versions of the campground scene.  Go figure, indeed.

I think it's therefore safe to say this trivial, unimportant topic can be considered closed, unless someone wants to offer words of wisdom about what was actually going on here.

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:36 PM

Well if you execute the SFC command that would have resolve the issue by replacing the corrupted system files that include images stored at "\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10" folder.

About CCleaner deleting cookies from website you just don't want it to be deleted you can add website Url addresses to keep cookies from websites you want. Open the CCleaner and click Options --> Cookies.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users