Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flash Player installer will not launch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 naugens101

naugens101

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:20 PM

Flash Player Installers for IE8 and Firefox 43 will not launch.  Running XP SP3 on old Gateway laptop, with Avast-Free.  Started when unable to update Flash, as I had always done.  Now automatic installer will not launch nor will full programs, which I downloaded from Adobe.

None of the following will launch:
flashplayer22_ha_install.exe
install_flash_player_22_active_x.exe or msi
install_flash_player_22_plugin.exe or msi
uninstall_flash_player.exe

When any of these files are left clicked, it blinks once and goes nowhere.  I uninstalled Flash from IE8 via the control panel.  The Flash Player Settings shows NPAPI having 21.0.0.213 installed and nothing for IE8.  I have not done an uninstall for Flash in Firefox, for concern that I will have no way to live stream anything.  Sw_uninstaller.exe will run, but have yet to run it.  Rebooting has not been useful.  All other install programs (non-Adobe) seem to run.  Malware/virus checks with Malwarebytes, Avast and SDScan were negative.  Where next?

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2016 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from XP to Web Browsing, etc. - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 naugens101

naugens101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

Self fix:

Interesting Microsoft is.  It seems in their effort to protect me, all downloaded executable files are tagged with "This file came from another computer and might be blocked".  Why this started in the last month or so, I do not know, since XP updates stopped a long time ago.  None the less, going to the Properties of any given file allows you to Unblock it and voila!  It will load. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users