Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow laptop - Windows 10 - Not virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Boshkala

Boshkala

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:49 PM

Hi guys, first time poster here so please forgive me if this is the wrong place.

I have a Dell R15, Inspiron 5520.

About 10 days ago my laptop started running very slowly, so I tried restarting it, sometimes it would get past the laptop login stage, sometimes not even tha far.
Anyway, I had that struggle for 10 or so restarts but now it makes it all the way to my homescreen, slowly but surely.

I have done two virus scans with 0 threats found and a disk defragment.

As it doesn't appear to be a virus I am lost as to what could be the problem.

I have searched online but I am not sure if any of the 'fixes' applies and I don't really want to cause more problems.

I don't know why it started running slowly. I booked a plane ticket, shut down my laptop and then 2 days later I turned it on and it is terribly slow..

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Boshkala, 31 July 2016 - 05:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

Never run more then one antivirus and firewall programs or your computer will get slower and you will have few more issues just running two antivirus program in real-time protection.

Step 1:

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Step 2:

Boot your computer into Safe Mode if the issue resolves within Safe Mode then one of the startup programs or services causing the issue perform a clean boot to find out which startup program causing the issue.

How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 or 10

Posted Image

#3 Frankierank

Frankierank

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

It may actually be a hard drive issue.

How old is the laptop? If it is 4-5 years old, it could be time to swap out the HDD for a newer one.

You can also get an SSD drive, which will speed things up.

To check for "disk issue clues", you can take a look in Event Viewer. If you see disk / nfts / drive controller errors, that is (at least part of) the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users