Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After Windows 10 update, partition disappears.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

A couple of weeks ago Windows 10 updated.  Immediately afterward, no D partition of the hard-drive, which is where all my working files are.  I've couldn't find a solution for this, and did a system restore.

I have been creating a Restore Point every night, and restoring the partition every morning.  This is not a good band-aid.

I thought that time could be bought by letting the computer go to sleep and not turning it off.  However, I am getting a crash when the computer goes to sleep; either manual, or by time-out.  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE  This may be a brand new issue as well.?  Can't say.  It has never happened before, but I have a long time-out set, so don't often put the computer to sleep during the day.

I haven't tried any fixes; haven't found anything that I'm comfortable with trying without having expert advice behind it.  I've found references that large drives can suddenly be a problem.  Mine is 3TB; 2.75 of that is D.

Please help.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:24 PM

System Restore points cannot restore deleted partitions, the restore point backups data on partition it cannot create partitions it can only restore data that has been backup but issue is the restore point you are creating should also be on the partition that you claim disappears maybe partition just don't get deleted if it did so will the restore points created for that partition as it will be stored on that partition.
The Network Card, Wireless Card, HDD controller and the Video Card drivers could most probably be the reason for the DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen of death error . If you are not sure which driver you need to update, you can try updating these three drivers on each to the latest version and see if the problem resolves. You can go to your PC manufacturer’s website to find and download the latest drivers.
The DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen of death error will happen if you have installed buggy device driver.
If the error occurs after a recent software installation, remove the software and see if the problem resolves.
If the error occurs after you connect a device (printer, scanner, camera, etc.) to the computer, try disconnecting the device and see if the problem resolves.

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.
Sfc  /Scannow
You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow
Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 August 2016 - 12:33 AM.

Posted Image

#3 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:31 PM

You should also schedule error checking of all partitions on the HDD starting with Windows installed partition.

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Chkdsk  C:  /R

Above command will ask you to schedule a error checking as C: drive letter mostly assign to Windows installed partition accept the next time reboot error checking of C: partition. You should also run error checking for all other partitions one at time.

Posted Image

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

I agree with FreeBooter "System Restore points cannot restore deleted partitions" but

Can you post a disk management screenshot of when there isn't a D partition along with the Protection Settings available drives?

Ditto when there is the D partition?

#5 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

Thanks to all for getting me started.  I know that System Restore isn't doing anything to solve the problem, but it does make D visible so that I can access my files and work - and I've tried to research on my own.  Without system restore - no files.  Not visible anyway, and clicking into a recently used file brings the message that the drive can't be found.  System Restore has at least been allowing me to work.  Doing it every day scares me.  Definitely need to get this fix before Windows wants to do more updates - which they don't offer me options anymore, it just happens.

1.  sfc / scannow  --  Took maybe five minutes at the most.  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

2.  Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth  --  Took less than five minutes.  "The operation completed successfully."  I don't know what was done, but that was the message.

3.  sfc / scannow  --  Took maybe five minutes at the most.  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

4.  Chkdsk C: /R  --  "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts."  I selected "Y".  I did not do a restart now, because I will have to do a System Restore to see my files after.  I will report on this tomorrow.

5.  Image attached of Disk Management, showing D present right now.  Almost all of the drive space is allotted to D.  This is the way Dell set it up.  I probably pay too much, but know my limitations (kind of important) and have never had serious issues with Dell computers.  The problem started immediately after a Windows update.

6.  Re:  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE  --  To my knowledge, I have not updated any drivers.  AMD wanted to update six or eight months ago, which I allowed, but it wreaked havoc on the system.  I rolled it back and everything was good again.  I still get a notice to update AMD every morning and would be happy to, but am afraid to.  Is there some scan or test that I should do for this issue?  The timing for this isn't something that I can link to the other issue because I don't let the computer go to sleep very often.  Once every month or so, when I've been out longer than expected.  I will go to Dell on see what is there for updates.  The website hasn't been particularly helpful / useful in the past, but I will try.

Thanks to everyone.  I will await instructions and check for updates at Dell.

Attached Files

Edited by D_Blackwell, 31 July 2016 - 11:39 PM.

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:54 PM

1. You did not need to run the Dism command as SFC command output  "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." indicate there are no corrupted Windows system files but running Dism command wont cause  any  harm.

4. Make sure to run Chkdsk D: /r command to repair errors on D: partition.

5. Haven't you created the D: partition aren't you using it to store your personal files?

6. Bleeping Computer has Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) experts that can help you and debug BSOD created dump files to find out what is causing the issue. My advice is to you to first manually download and install all drivers from manufacturers of the connected devices and components. But if you want help from BSOD expert then visit below link.

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista

Edited by FreeBooter, 31 July 2016 - 11:54 PM.

Posted Image

#7 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:12 AM

Chkdsk is scheduled to run when I power-up tomorrow.  Will report back.

5.  No, I didn't create D.  When I got this machine from Dell, they had split the drive into C: and D:.  I've not encountered that before, didn't ask for it, but that's the way they set it up.  C: has the OS and related files, and yes, all of my working files are at D:, which was simply empty space when I got the computer.  C: was about half-full when the machine was new, and is about half-full now.

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:34 AM

Well D: is a separate hard disk drive from Windows installed partition so when you run the Chkdsk D:  /x  /r command you will not be prompted to schedule a next time reboot error checking. Also after checking for errors finish change the drive letter to any drive letter but D: drive letter. 

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Posted Image

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:35 AM

Thanks for all your feedback.

It would be a good idea to create system image backups onto an external hard drive especially when there is a concern whether or not a procedure is questionable on what the result could be.

Also create a USB Recovery Drive

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

The necessity for you to do a system restore in order for you to see your drive sure is perplexing.

The next time you cannot see your D drive go into Control Panel, Security and Maintenance and see if they report issues that need to be addressed

#10 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:48 AM

Also after checking for errors finish change the drive letter to any drive letter but D: drive letter.

Will I be able to change it back?  Lightroom has the location of nearly 100K images in D.

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:05 AM

Also after checking for errors finish change the drive letter to any drive letter but D: drive letter.

Will I be able to change it back?  Lightroom has the location of nearly 100K images in D.

No you don't need to change the drive letter to D: again i ask you to assign new drive letter to D: drive to eliminate any drive assignment conflict. Don't worry changing the letter of partition is safe you will not able change C: partition letter as it is use for Windows installed partition but other drive letters assign to other partitions can be change.

Use the following steps to change the letter used to identify a drive or a partition:

• Right click on the Start menu icon_Windows8_key.png.
  • Select Disk Management.
  • Right-click on the drive letter you want to change and click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
  • Click Change...
  • Use the drop down to the right of Assign the following drive letter: to select a new drive letter.
  • Click OK.
The D_Blackwell this is third time i'm asking you to post the Speccy log to provide us with information about your computer. This information is important is there a reason why you don't want to post Speccy log about your computer?
Also have you run the Chkdsk command on D: partition?

Edited by FreeBooter, 01 August 2016 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image

#12 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

The D_Blackwell this is third time i'm asking you to post the Speccy log to provide us with information about your computer. This information is important is there a reason why you don't want to post Speccy log about your computer?

I'm very sorry.  I did Speccy right away, got the link, then managed to not include it in my answers.  Just re-ran for a new link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7C2aPKWcvvW28WCAi1BUw5r

I'll update on the other things shortly.

#13 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:57 PM

I apologize again for overlooking the link to the Speccy results.  Is it correct to what you wanted to see?

Business issues this morning, so had to skip the Chkdsk for C: drive.  I wasn't sure how long it would take, and had an unexpected rush for some research (pays the bills).  Once concluded, I did run:  Chkdsk D:  /x  /r  -- Took 5 1/2 hours.  Did nothing on the computer during this time, just kept an eye on things.

Results:

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.

No further action is required.

2861458 MB total disk space.

588089500 KB in 161832 files.

81952 KB in 9198 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

381939 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB in use by the log file.

2286699 MB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

732533503 total allocation units on disk.

585395156 allocation units available on disk.

C: \WINDOWS\system32>

I'm not expecting anything early tomorrow, so will again schedule the Chkdsk for C: at start-up.  Will then change the drive letter as requested.

Thank you for bearing with me.  I'm trying to get it right.  Thanks again.

#14 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:10 AM

Hi D_Blackwell,

Thanks for posting the Speccy log the HDD SMART health report is in good state so issue could be bad loose cable connection or device driver. I need you to uninstall driver for the D: hard disk drive by opening Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu and within Device Manager expand "Disk Drivers" found your D: drive model name and right click the D: HDD and select Uninstall when if you were to ask if you would like to delete the driver form Driver Store place a check mark on the check box. After uninstalling the driver  from menu bar  click  Action --> scan for hardware changes to make Windows install new driver for your HDD.

Posted Image

#15 D_Blackwell

D_Blackwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

Chkdsk C: /R  --  I ran this and it took something under an hour.  It ran up to 21% pretty quickly, then stuck there, so I puttered around with other things.  When I next checked, it was done.  I put in the password and continued in.  When start-up completed, D: Drive was visible for the first time in well over a week.  Before doing anything more, it seems prudent to work as usual today, and see what happens with start-up tomorrow.  Was something fixed?  Or is this a coincidental and temporary good thing?

I don't know if Chkdsk found or did anything?  Is there a way to see what the results / actions were?

I will report back tomorrow what happens at start-up, and then see how to proceed.  Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users