Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

spam blocker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

looking for a simple email spam blocker for android. Can someone suggest one they actually use and works well.

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I have never found one worth anything on Google play. And yes I keep checking. More trouble than anything, and not very effective. I do all my spam filtering with which ever mail service I use. Takes time to set up but better than some useless app.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:14 PM

Hi:

Mailwasher Mobile from Firetrust may be worth a look.

I do not use the Mobile version, but it is free, can be used to sync across multiple devices/platforms, and is published by a top-notch company.

I have used the paid PC version since it was barely out of beta many years ago.

See here:

http://www.firetrust.com/products/mailwasher-mobile

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.firetrust.mailwasher

Support forum:

http://forum.firetrust.com/viewforum.php?f=55

If the mobile version is even nearly as good as the PC version, it's probably excellent.

Cheeers,

MM

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:42 PM

I was a long time Mailwasher user. When i found out they made an Android version I tried it several times. I was sadly disappointed to be quite honest.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hi, @Animal:

Well, darn, that's disappointing.  I'm not entirely surprised, as it seems a bit overly-ambitious to try to code a truly cross-platform app to do what MWP does so well on a PC.

{{TBH, I get precious little spam on any device or platform that makes it past my ISP, webmail or Exchange servers.  But I rely heavily on MWP on all my PCs to view, sort, reply/ forward and (when needed on occasion) delete spam (or just unneeded messages) from a single, customizable grid.  And it does provide a layer of safety.

There is no local "Mac" version of MWP.

But my dependence on the PC version is probably the single most compelling reason why I am still on Windows, as there is NO good Mac subsitute for the program.

I guess that makes me sound like a bit of a fan-girl.  So I suppose I am.}}

And now, back on-topic,

MM

#6 sinister_midget

sinister_midget

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:59 PM

I don't use a spam blocker per se. But I use Cloud Magic for multiple accounts and it does a pretty good job once I mark something as spam. I don't recall why I paid for it since I've been using it for a long time. It might be to get rid of ads, or maybe to let me have more accounts than a certain default number or something. But I use only it on my phone and tablet (same app account) and it's been fine for me across several devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users