Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Files are corrupted/broken/inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arthurjr98

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Okay so I recently had a pretty bad malware/rootkit issue with my computer. When I would browse through chrome, clicking on links would pop open new windows or redirect me to new pages. And even the pages I wanted to be on would constantly refresh, streaming videos wouldn't play. But more importantly many files on my computer were inaccessible or corrupted. Shortcuts would not open from my desktop or files from their home location on my computer.

So I tried to remedy this with the follwing in this order: 1. Rkill 2. Rogue Killer 3. Adwcleaner 4. Malwarebytes

This was mostly successful. I can browse my internet safely and smoothly. My computer seems to be operating much faster now than it did before. However, many of the files on my computer I am still unable to open up. Cleaning up my computer fixed some of the files, but most are still inaccessible. Desktop icons are a blank white square and nothing happening when I double click on them. My taskbar ( I have windows 10 ) are all white square boxes. I even installed sim city 4 on my computer earlier today except that it doesn't start up when I insert the game disk, nor is there a file to run the game in its folder under my C drive.

I suspect there maybe still some malware hidden deep in my computer. I am really hoping this isn't a hardware issue. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

I attached a picture of my desktop for a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Attached Files

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 July 2016 - 08:29 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,440 posts
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hello, please repost your topic with your Roguekiller log here, thanks.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users