Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Transfer everything from old laptop to new one (both use Windows 10)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 djfro

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 and wondered the best way to transfer all my files, programs, settings, user profiles and even applications. The new computer also has windows 10. I saw the option of "Windows Easy Transfer" but hear that's not available in Windows 10. This is the first time I've tried this so want to make sure I do it right.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

Applications have to be reinstalled.  You can transfer your data by copying it to an external device, then copying it back on the other computer.  Depending on the amount of data you have, you can use either a USB flash drive or an external hard drive.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,285 posts
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

Here's the "official" Microsoft answer - Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to provide you with data transfer tools that transfer selected files, folders, and more from an old Windows PC to a new Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 PC.

You're out of luck for programs, they will have to be reinstalled.

#4 Frankierank

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:40 AM

Yep, no Easy Transfer on Windows 10.

Laplink is a poor replacement in my experience.

If you do need to transfer programs and settings, it is possible but costs $$$.

I use Zinstall, but only when I really have to do a full transfer.

They do transfer programs all right, as well as everything else, and i think the best option on the market, technologically - but you do have to spend to get it.

Here's their tutorial:

How to transfer programs, settings and files to new computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users