Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway NV53 laptop hard to reboot

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

Gateway laptop NV53 running Win7 .  4 g ram and 500 g harddrive with 3/4 empty.  64 bit

All of a sudden it will not reboot.  I am running from wall socket as battery has not worked for several years.  If I forget and close the laptop, it will not come back on.  I usually have to unplug the charger and then plug it back up and hit the on/off button.  Sometimes this works first time, sometimes it takes many times.  And sometimes I just give up and wait until the next day.  Sometimes the on/off button will make it reboot without unplugging the charger but not usually.

When it does decide to reboot I get a black and white screen which gives several options; I chose Open Windows normally.  It will reboot and work flawlessly - until I forget and close it up again.

I have noticed that the charger gets very hot.  Not sure if this is recent or not.

I have ordered a new battery but do not think this is the problem as I have been using it for several years with this bad battery.

Could it be the charger?  Could the motherboard be going bad?

Appreciate your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

It sounds to me like the system tries to sleep/hibernate when you close the lid.

Try adjusting the power options to "Do nothing" or "Shut down" when you close the lid

To get to the power options, go to the Run dialog and type in "powercfg.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:12 PM

Usasma - OK.  I changed the settings and now  it does not go off when I close the lid.  This was for the lid setting.  So at least it does not go off when I close the lid.  I am not sure this addresses the problem of rebooting.  Now I will turn the power off with the on/off button and see if it will reboot with the on/off button.   Will report back.

Thanks for the help.

OK - I turned it off with the on/off button and it would not come on again.   Took several times.  The power comes on and the red light for the muted speaker comes on and another red light on the left top which looks like a briefcase with a 1 inside  also comes on.   After several on/off cycles with the power button the screen finally fired up again. (As a test then I did a restart with the shut down feature from the icon tray and it restarted fine.)  Often I can feel the cd/dvd player activating when I try to turn it on again even though the screen fails to light up so something is happening.  The screen just will not come on.

New battery is installed and is working OK.

But there is still the problem getting it to reboot.  Sometimes it takes two or three times and sometimes I have to wait until the next day.  Does this sound like a hardware problem?

Edited by tyl604, 03 August 2016 - 01:30 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

I'm not real good with the fixes involving this.
What I suspect is that the system has problems when it sleeps/hibernates - so stopping it from sleeping/hibernating should stop the startup problem, but won't fix the actual cause.

If that works, then we'll have to start resetting the drivers one-by-one.

By this I mean:

- getting new copies that are compatible w/W7

- uninstalling the old versions from the system

- then install the new copies

Start with video, chipset, and all the different Intel programs (DPTF, RST, MEI, etc)

Then work on all the others (almost any driver can cause this - even if it doesn't seem possible).  Try them until you fix the reboot problem.
Eventually you'll either replace all of them, or you'll discover that you've fixed it.

If this doesn't work, my other suggestion would be to backup your stuff and do a clean install of W7

Edited by usasma, 03 August 2016 - 01:27 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

Usasma - I appreciate your help but would it be possible to get a second opinion - something with a bit more specificity than replace all drivers until it is fixed.  I am concerned about my ability to locate and update all the drivers.  I would like to drill down a bit more toward exactly what could be causing this laptop not to reboot.  I like the rifle approach more than the shotgun approach.

Thanks.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:55 AM

That is why I referred you here.

I'd suggest that you PM a moderator to see if they can suggest someone - as I don't hang out here, and I don't know the experts here.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Could it be the charger?

Yes it could be, if the power pack is struggling to run well, it might be just able to run the laptop once it is operational, and without a battery fitted, the charger doesn't have the additional load of simultaneously charging the battery. However the load of starting up the system may be getting too much for it.

If it will not be too long until you receive the battery you ordered, I'd suggest using the battery when it arrives as a way to find out whether the PSU seems to be the weak factor. I suggest first fitting and charging the battery without turning the laptop on at all. When it indicates the battery is fully charged, disconnect the charger and start up and shut down the laptop & see if it still shows the same sort of problem or not. If it still does, that will indicate there is an internal problem in the laptop. If it is happy on battery, but struggles to start if you remove the battery again and run from the PSU, that would seem to confirm the PSU is barely managing to work.

Edited by Platypus, 04 August 2016 - 09:04 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

Plat - I have been running the new battery for a full day now and the battery is OK.  However I have exactly the same startup symptoms.  It takes multiple on/off tries to get it to boot up.  Sometime the cd/dvd player will make noises so I know it is getting power, but the screen will not light up.   Then magically on another try, it fires up fine.  This is the same whether I am running it with or without the elec cord.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

Does the screen remain unlit totally - in other words no brand splashscreen, prompts for F key to enter Setup?

#10 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:16 AM

Correct; nothing on the screen.  On the keyboard I will get the mute red light on and sometimes another icon that looks like a briefcase with a 1 inside is lighted (sometimes not).  But the screen itself has not a single pixel of light.  Then magically it will work (if I turn it off and on again) and I get several black and white options - I chose Open Windows normally -and it opens and runs great.  So far it takes 3-6 on/offs to get it to turn on again.

Edited by tyl604, 04 August 2016 - 09:19 AM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:21 AM

Then it is a hardware problem not related to Windows drivers or anything like that. Is there any activity of the hard drive access light? What brand and model is the unit?

#12 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:24 AM

Gateway laptop NV53 running Win7 .  4 g ram and 500 g harddrive with 3/4 empty.  64 bit.    I do not think the hard drive icon light comes on when it fails to reboot.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:31 AM

Sorry, I forgot you'd said in the initial post. This topic has some interesting content:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1736826/gateway-nv53-showing-display-powered.html

#14 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:50 AM

Wow.  I am looking at a post from Nov 19,2014, by Sanjay Mahabir.  Basically he ways some solder points have gone bad and he recommends wrapping up the air vents and letting the laptop get hot enough that it melts back the solder points.

Goes against everything I have heard about how to treat a laptop.

What do you think?

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

As an electronics technician, I agree solder fractures on BGA chips is a common cause of many types of faults especially in laptops (HP did a huge recall of nVidia chipped laptops for this reason). Sanjay's idea is certainly not being kind to the laptop, but is is a sort-of equivalent to techniques others have described for re-flowing video cards with that solder fault, by putting them in a modest temperature oven! Numerous people have said it worked, like the folk who have posted on that topic. No way to know if they are genuine of course. I wouldn't expect a low-temperature action like internal laptop heat would be a permanent cure if it worked.

If solder fracture is the cause, the proper solution, as a board repair, would be for an electronics workshop to use the correct equipment to re-flow the BGA chips, or else replace the mainboard. Of course, as one poster on the topic laments, if you replace the mainboard and it doesn't fix it, you've found out the expensive way that that was not the cause.

Edited by Platypus, 04 August 2016 - 10:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users