Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell inspiron 15 5000 question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 duncan1979

duncan1979

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

I recently bought this laptop but found dvds don't play in the optical drive - apparently this is a common problem but I was wondering if theres any way to make the computer recognize and play DVDs. Also I was wondering about blurays - if I bought an external bluray drive would it work with this model? Also I have a bluray drive from another dell laptop that's a different make would it maybe work with this model?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:44 PM

I have an 8 month old Dell Inspiron 15 5559, and haven't had this problem.  I don't know why a USB Blueray player wouldn't work.  If your laptop is under a year old, you should seek warranty support.  If it's over a year old, you might need to avail yourself of an optical drive cleaning kit.  They aren't expensive.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 duncan1979

duncan1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

I BOUGHT A DELL INSPIRON 15 5000 5559 LAPTOP BUT THE OPTICAL DRIVE DOESNT SEEM  TO RECOGNISE DISCS. DOES ANYONE KNOW A WAY TO FIX THIS?

Edit: Merged this topic posted later in day, with same content one. This is to consolidate information and avoid conflicting information. ~ Animal

#4 saluqi

saluqi

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:18 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R 5537 bought three years ago this coming October, and another less powerful 15R bought at the same time (can't remember model number, but i3 processor, 500 GB hard disk, 4 GB of RAM as I bought it - though I've since added 4 GB more RAM).  Both those machines read and write DVDs without difficulty.  If your machine is still in warrranty (mine came with a 2 year warranty), take Niweg's advice, seek warranty support.  Otherwise yes, try the cleaning kit.  And beware of dust (a BIG problem where I live).

FWIW both those machines came with Windows 8 installed. I have since upgraded both first to Windows 8.1, and then to Windows 10.  And yes, they both still work <G>.

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

When you have a disc already in do you get a choice on how to open it?

I doubt that this applies in all cases but this is what worked on a computer I worked on last week

With a disc in the optical drive, 2 choices were available on what to do: burn to disc or nothing.

The owner told me did didn't check either one, just closed out the dialog box

I selected nothing

It worked in his case.

I don't know why but that's what worked for him.

#6 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 751 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

Hey, duncan1979!

@cmptrgy: I believe what Duncan was saying is that the disk drive does not even register a disk having been inserted.

@duncan1979: Right click on your start menu and then click on device manager. Once the device manager opens, expand the section labeled "DVD/CD-ROM drives". Please then report back here whether or not any of the entries in that list have a yellow exclamation point on the icon.

ZC

#7 duncan1979

duncan1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

No exclamation mark - I read up online and apparently this is a thing with windows 10 laptops or something, that there's no dvd drive - but I'm kind of confused as to the point of the optical drive if this is the case

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:46 PM

I assume you have already tried Safe Mode to rule in or rule out hardware, to rule in or rule out at least some software?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:59 AM

Click on File Explorer, This PC: does the DVD drive show up? Mine shows as DVD-RW Drive D

--- If it does, insert a blank DVD disc, give it a few seconds and see if it changes to: in my case it shows DVD-RW Drive D 4.38 GB Free of 4.38 GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users