Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error: No boot disk has been detected - asus aspire am3470G-UW10P

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eddyhamilton

eddyhamilton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:07 AM

I have a acer aspire am3470G-UW10P I got from a friend, with both the hard drives wiped. I want to install linux and windows 7. When I boot it up with my live linux USB, everything is fine, however, it refuses to detect a OS on any of the hard drives. At first I assumed that this was an issue with the hard drives, but I have tried using different hard drives I know work. This leads me to assume its something in the bios. I have drained the CMOS, but no luck there. When it boots up, it goes past the bios screen and says: ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed

What can I do? Would trying to flash the bios help? How can I do this without being able to access the OS to install the updates in the first place?

Edited by eddyhamilton, 31 July 2016 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,666 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

If you wiped both drives as you posted then no OS will be detected. Or are you saying no hard drives are detected when booting your linux disk.

#3 eddyhamilton

eddyhamilton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:36 AM

If you wiped both drives as you posted then no OS will be detected. Or are you saying no hard drives are detected when booting your linux disk.

Both drives came to me completely clean, and I installed Ubuntu 16.04 LS onto one, then the other, in an attempt to get them to work. When I started, as well as now when, I try to boot that installation, it gives the error.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,666 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:45 AM

Just to confirm, it's possible to install linux on another computer and attach it to a different computer and have it still boot. Did you install linux directly to the Acer, go through all install steps then rebooted and received your no boot disk error or do you get this error when first trying to install your linux distro.

The disk is detected in your UEFI/BIOS, correct?

Aspire is an Acer computer.

#5 eddyhamilton

eddyhamilton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

Just to confirm, it's possible to install linux on another computer and attach it to a different computer and have it still boot. Did you install linux directly to the Acer, go through all install steps then rebooted and received your no boot disk error or do you get this error when first trying to install your linux distro.

The disk is detected in your UEFI/BIOS, correct?

Aspire is an Acer computer.

I installed directly to the acer, thanks for pointing out that little slip, I meant acer. Yes, when I go to select the boot order, the hard drives do show up. Should I try installing the linux on a harddrive from a different computer and moving it over to the acer? Sorry if I am just being more confusing, but when I received the computer, it was also showing this error and BSOD STOP 0x0000007b, I assumed it was because of the lack of OS. I attempted to install linux on one of the hard drives, and nothing changed, so I tried the other one as well. Also important to note, the default settings on the BIOS are setup for a RAID configuration, but I switched off of that, because I don't really know how to use RAID.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,666 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

The 0x07b error usually indicates a problem with the Mass Storage Drivers but with no OS I am not sure why that appeared unless there is a problem with the MB itself. Did you turn off RAID after installing linux? There should be a setting called AHCI along with the RAID setting. 

When you enter BIOS does it indicate a UEFI computer?

You can try installing linux on another computer and then install the drive to see if it boots but try the following first.

Boot your Linux disk and open a terminal. Type the following command.

fdisk -l

and post the output. Edit: If you get a permission denied then use sudo fdlsk -l

Also type 

lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model

and post the output  The above commands have lower case "L" and not a "1"

There is a screenshot program in ubuntu that can make things easier. Take a screenshot of Terminal and attach it to your next post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2016 - 01:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users