Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD won't open :(

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 noz03

noz03

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

One of my external HDs just stopped working (actually it was an internal laptop HD put into an empty external case).

I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it recognises something is there, but says the drive has to be formated before it can be used. What does this mean and what can I try to do to fix it? I have some important work on it that I really need access to :'(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:22 AM

Right click computer > Manage > Disk Management.  Is the drive listed as RAW or does it say not initialized?

#3 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

It says it is RAW (Healthy)

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

How big is the hard drive?

#5 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

600gb

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:12 PM

Download Partition Wizard here. Do a quick scan using the Partition Recovery Wizard. Select Full Disk.  Does it detect any partition? If it does then highlight the partition. Do you see all your files?

#7 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:18 PM

Yup my original partition is there, but it doesn't say it is deleted or anything like that, it says it is existing. I ticked it and clicked finish but nothing happened.... Seems like the partition wizard thinks the drive is running fine, just windows can't seem to open it :(

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

Did you first double click the partition to see if your files are listed?  After Finish you are supposed to click Apply but do not do this if no files are listed.  

#9 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:46 PM

I double clicked but can't see any "files". I can see the name that I gave it many years ago though ("HARD DISK 2")

Screenshot:

Screenshot024.jpg

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

Do you see your files if you double click "Disk2"?

If not Download Testdisk for Windows. Not the 64bit version. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. Double click the exe file of TestDisk. Do a Quick Scan as shown in the following step by step. Highlight any partition found and then press "P". Do you see any files listed.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

#11 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:19 PM

Do you mean the "Disk2" in the partition explorer on the right side of the screenshot? I tried but nothing happens, just highlights it.

Am running the quick scan with testdisk now, btw is it normal for the "quick" scan to take around 2+ hours? Has been going 5 minutes now and only up to 2%... I hope it's the right thing. Screenshot025.jpg

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:32 PM

That sounds about right for a Quick Scan on a 600GB. A Deeper Scan will take much longer. Hopefully it will detect your partition. Because recovering your important files are a priority you do not want to write anything. We can try repairing the partition table after you have recovered your files.

If you see your files you can highlight them and press the ":" to select. You can also press lower case "a" to select everything but you would need at least 600GB of free space on your hard drive as the files are recovered to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. If you select a directory the whole directory structure is copied to your hard drive. 

If you have another external you can first copy to your hard drive then move them to the external or upload them to the cloud. 

#13 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

That sounds about right for a Quick Scan on a 600GB. A Deeper Scan will take much longer. Hopefully it will detect your partition. Because recovering your important files are a priority you do not want to write anything. We can try repairing the partition table after you have recovered your files.

If you see your files you can highlight them and press the ":" to select. You can also press lower case "a" to select everything but you would need at least 600GB of free space on your hard drive as the files are recovered to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. If you select a directory the whole directory structure is copied to your hard drive. 

If you have another external you can first copy to your hard drive then move them to the external or upload them to the cloud. 

Oh no... that is a problem. I don't have anywhere with 600gb free :( The only other disk I have big enough is full with the last backup of that harddrive a few weeks ago :( If it finds the partition table though can't I just return it to how it was before? Also I've recovered deleted files a few times before with recuva but they always end up losing their file names and locations, so that wouldn't really help me. It'd just be an insane mess :(

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

No, you will not lose your file names. I would concentrate on copying your most important files. I would have to see your screenshots and there is always a chance writing the partition table will fail and make recovering your files harder. If you have the budget I suggest purchasing a 1TB external drive. They are about $60.

You can try writing the partition table but I can't guarantee it will work. 

Edit: If you do get an external then you can unzip the Testdisk folder to the new external and all files would be copied to the new external by default.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2016 - 06:31 PM.

#15 noz03

noz03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:53 AM

Ok I am a little bit confused now. Are you saying that I can pick and chose which files/folders I want to copy? In that case I wouldn't need 600gb, in fact the main files that I need are small, I'm so glad I did a backup just 2 weeks ago so its just a few projects that I would lose. If I could try to get those folders off and backed up then I could try to rewrite the partition with not much to lose.

This is the screen I currently see, after the quick scan. Absolutely no idea what any of it means though. Also when it asked me what partition type I chose PC, not unpartitioned media which was the default... Hope that was correct.

Screenshot027.jpg

Edited by noz03, 01 August 2016 - 05:54 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users