Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Pc Advice

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Muffin Man

Muffin Man

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:44 PM

Hey guys, I'm new to both the forums and PC hardware. I'm looking for an above-average gaming PC as well as a monitor and printer to go along with it. I'm working with a budget of $3,000 and I would appreciate any help you guys may have to offer. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no computer know-how. I came across this PC earlier today and thought I'd post it's specs here for criticism. It seems reasonably priced as well as high-quality.

Specs:

• Intel Pentium D 960 Dual-Core Processor @ 3.6GHz 2x2MB L2 Cache
• Dual Core Technology Ready
• Asus P5ND2-SLI DX PCI-X MB
• 1GB PC5300 DDR2 667 RAM
• 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache HD
• 2 x NVIDIA Geforce 7900GT 256MB Video
• 16X DVD-ROM Drive
• 16X DVD+-RW Drive
• High Definition 7.1 Sound
• Logitech X530 Speakers System
• Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
• CoolerMaster Praetorian RC-730 420W Aluminum Case /w Xtreme Liquid Cooling Technology
• Operated extremely quiet and cool w/ water cooling

Link: http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/infxlc.asp?v=d

Please be specific in your replies as I'm new to all of this. Thank you.

Edited by Muffin Man, 14 August 2006 - 01:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:42 PM

This is me, not impressed.

The power supply is way too small. You need like 600W for both SLI and high-end Pentium D, and a good brand like Enermax.

Only got 1GB of memory, in a high-end gaming machine I would put two, and maybe bump it up to DDR2-800.

Pentium D does not make a good gaming processor, either go AMD athlon or Intel Core 2.

SLI isn't all that it is made up to be, and for the same price you could get a 7950GX2.

Maybe add a discrete sound-card, like a Creative X-Fi.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:45 PM

It seems nice, where did you find this at?

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:35 PM

Also if you are shelling out that much cash on a gaming machine I highly recommend you get something a little better then the X-530 speakers. They are ok but they sound like there 100$CAD price tag... (I'm 16 that's all I can afford really...). I would go something a little higher end (I like logitech still) maybe something in the 250$ range...

And MrAlpha is right. The pentium D isn't the best... I would go with an AMD. Also 1 gig is not alot... I HIGHLY suggest getting 2 1gig sticks (especially if you have dual channel capabilities wich I highly suspect...)

And yes SLI isn't all it's cut out to be... and for god sakes get a bigger PSU especially if you keep the Pentium D and the SLI cards get a MINIMUM of 550W and maybe even something over 600 Watts would be better.

I'm sorry if I was a little harsh...

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

For a printer, I've found some of those little HP one, can be pretty good.

For a monitor, I highly suggest going to a store such as Bestbuy, or Futureshop and testing out the monitors, since they have a large selection. You can find a nice LCD for 300$ ( Canadian ).

Here's a good article showing you what to look for in a 19" LCD, and it compares a few models.

For that computer, you'd be much better off going with AM2 socket AMD processor, or a new Intel Core 2 processor.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:55 AM

When you are getting your LCD also, make sure it has a FAST response time! Anything at or below 4ms is absolutely necessary.
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:39 AM

I don't find a "high response time" that important. Just for a few milliseconds you'll have to pay alot more.

Unless you're such a hardcore gamer that needs those 10 extra milliseconds so you can pop the other guys head off with an Awp before he AK's you...little off topic.

Response time doesn't really mean to much, it means how long it takes for the pixel to go from "on" to "off".
So for a pixel to go from green to red, it may only be 15 milliseconds.

Edited by protozero, 15 August 2006 - 07:40 AM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

The better response time isn't about giving you an edge, it is about those (like me) who get sick from the ghosting.

The response time is measured differently by different manufacturers, it does not mean the same across the board.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 15 August 2006 - 01:09 PM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:40 PM

Also the best way to buy an LCD is go to the Best buy or future shop (or whatever you have close...) and actually "test drive" the LCD. Some LCDs give some people headaches and such...

#10 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, the reason I put that in there is for the following:

1. Serious Gamers (not me, it costs too much) will find that the 15ms or so can equate to 4 or 5 frames later than their CRT counterparts. In a test I saw on line (be damned if I can find it!) the difference was noticable - particularly regarding where you aim.

2. The Ghosting Effect. You may think it's no biggy, but with my 19" WS (5ms), it is there, and after a little while it can make your eyes go a bit funny, if not give you headaches.

The point is, choose carefully. You are gonna be stuck with this LCD for a while (they are not cheap) so you'd want to get the right one. CRTs are still cheap, and not as exciting, but they don't have the same flaws. Given all these points, however, I would still not give up my LCD.... :thumbsup:

Looked at your linky - Take the VX922 - I have only heard good things...

Edited by JPHarvey, 15 August 2006 - 05:28 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#11 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:32 PM

Response time has nothing to do with frame rates!

#12 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:10 PM

I realise that, BUT - the response time will affect what frame you are on compared to a CRT, not the frame rate (ie 60Hz etc).
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#13 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:17 PM

Gawd - finally bloddy found it - read this and stop arguing with me!!!

http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/l...o-crts-yes.html
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#14 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

Obviously a CRT is going to be much faster. But their huge, ugly ( compared to LCD's ), I don't find their picture as prestine, and they suck up more electricity.

I still don't think the extra money for a few tiny milliseconds is worth it. I'd go for image quality then response time, unless you're a sponsered gamer.

#15 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 08:56 PM

Yeah, but look at it this way:

Muffin Man said he has a budget of $3000, and the system at it's base level is only around $1700.
Additionally, he was looking for advice on a Gaming PC, so I am providing that advice. So the reality is that - for a Gaming PC - the price IS worth it. And who says that you can't have both quality and response time?

Sure, if this was going to be a word processor, or just a standard desktop, it would be different. Why not take advantage of the allocated budget and SLI GPU's?

Edited by JPHarvey, 16 August 2006 - 09:01 PM.

[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users