Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Australia Found....But Still Drifting

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:55 AM

Ever wonder why those satellite navigated ships keep running aground around Australia? Why your neighbor who owns a satellite guided tractor keeps

plowing up your front yard? Why your GPS is causing you to miss your turn? Well, finally....Australia is getting in the groove. Planes crashing into the control towers will become a thing of the past.

Australia plans new co-ordinates to fix sat-nav gap - BBC News

QUOTE A BIT........"We have tractors in Australia starting to go around farms without a driver, and if the information about the farm doesn't line up with the co-ordinates coming out of the navigation system there will be problems."

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:41 AM

Australia is a sports continent...... It moves fast....

As an Australian I'd like to say it is the rest of the world that has actually moved. We're still right smack bang in the middle of ****** nowhere.

Then again....thats .08 meters per year approx. or approx 3 inches per year. I thought it took thousands of years for islands and continents to move an inch. Seems like a lot of movement......

The plates don't move that slowly, but neither do they all move at the same speed. The Australian Plate is among the fastest....

It's due to the kangaroos. Every time they jump it perturbs the plate a little bit and it is able to creep along. Other plates move slower because they are only covered by rabbits. And the drop bears. Don't forget about the drop bears.....they have always played a part....

Edited by Condobloke, 31 July 2016 - 06:51 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:20 AM

This is because Australia is instinctively trying to reunite the Commonwealth, by connecting to Canada.

"Australia moves about 7cm north annually . . . "

Just think about it.  In only 168,642,857 years, Brisbane and Victoria will be joined into one city!  :clapping:

Cheers!

Naught.

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:55 AM

Why don't you dig a spoonful of earth from one end of Australia and add it to the other end.

#5 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

georgehenry, on 31 Jul 2016 - 12:55 PM, said:
Why don't you dig a spoonful of earth from one end of Australia and add it to the other end.

George,

Wouldn't that make them lighter on one side and heavier on the other?  Eventually the whole continent would then tip over.

Tuppence,

Naught.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,962 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:11 PM

....and then we be doubly down under.....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 12:53 AM

....and then we be doubly down under.....

That's OK - we'll throw you a lifebuoy.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:00 AM

@PhotoAce:

Could you see where to throw it? Your land is in a long white cloud.

@georgehenry:

We could export the soil to England and you could use it to join Dover to Calais, save on tunnels and ferries and things.

@The Great White Northern One:

Naught, we have a state called Victoria, can you do the calcs and we could ship it to BC? Then you could have Victoria, Victoria ... pretty hard for even a Canadian to forget.

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:06 AM

At first I thought georgehenry's fix was just plain nuts. But then on second thought....maybe spoon has a different meaning to Brits and Aussies.

So, I searched to see if Aussies even used what I call a spoon or if they were a different size, shape or whatever. Using the term Australian spoon I

got top searches saying Australian spoon has something to do with bags, women, clubs and balls.

As a last resort...here I am asking you Aussies and Brits to be a bit more specific about spoons in a language I can understand....thanks.

Another idea just struck me....Trump will be available to help out in mid-November. That guy can fix anything and if a seawall can stop the drift...he's your man!

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 410 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

I said spoonful because of the small amount of movement. If you used a shovel it would move Australia in the other direction, by several centimetres. You are right though, I didn't reckon capsizing

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

In Australia we use man size spoons unlike the rest of the world.

small-spoon-big-spoon-fbyabj.jpg

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

I think . . .

You know you used to be in Australia when you can't find it any more !

Chris Cosgrove

#13 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:15 AM

The long flight time has discouraged me from visiting Australia. Now that it is getting closer I think I will wait a bit longer until

flight time is cut at least in half or maybe until I can take a bus or train.

#14 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

Southern Australians are certainly aware of the drifting. Note that none will go into the ocean without tethering ropes in place.....smart.

Henley-Beach-helicopter-2099.jpg

Henley Beach, South Australia

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:36 AM

@buddy215:

OK smartypants, lol, the two persons below whom can be seen wearing yellow tops and red pants are lifesavers (lifeguards) - the beach has been closed for a while perhaps because a shark was sighted, a sandbank (sandbar) has collapsed or there is a dangerous rip (current).

srcqELf.png

We try to safeguard our beaches, even from the (American) tourists :hysterical:

:wizardball: Wizard (former lifesaver)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users