Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infinite shutoff loop

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 KimTaehyung

KimTaehyung

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:34 AM

So today I had painters come paint to my house, so I had to unplug my pc. After about four hours I reconnected everything after they were finished. i press the power button and my pc just turns on for a few second and then shuts off and then on off etc. Once i shut it off by flipping the powers witch on the back of the psu and then turned it back on after waiting 30secs the computer turned on posted and booted into windows and then shut off a few seconds afterward and then continued the same shut off turn on loop every few seconds. Earlier in the week i have restarted and even shut down the pc normally with no issues, just all of a sudden today it refuses to work for no apparent reason. the only thing that has been unplugged when i moved it was the power from the wall nothing else has been moved/changed etc. The motherboard is a Asus P8Z68 deluxe/gen 3. i have 8gigs of ram just two ram sticks an ssd two sata hdd's a blueray drive and ati radeon 6990. i7processor This system has been working perfectly for well over a year with no issues and all of a sudden today it just quit for no apparent reason.

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2016 - 11:21 AM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to W10 Support - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It would help a great deal if you post the operating system you are running.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 KimTaehyung

KimTaehyung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It would help a great deal if you post the operating system you are running.

Windows 10 but i highly doubt that is causing the problem

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:32 AM

There are different repair solutions applicable to the different versions of Windows.  For that reason I needed to know which operating system you are running.  As for this problem not being related to the operating system, I would not discount this as a possibility.

This topic really belongs in the Windows 10 Forum.  I've requested that it be moved there.

Edited by dc3, 31 July 2016 - 11:04 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 KimTaehyung

KimTaehyung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:36 PM

Alright but the issue is hardware related not operating system relatred

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

If the computer boots then does a constant reboot loop I would think it was OS related. Do you have a Windows 10 install disk. You can create a DVD or USB installer using the Media Creation Tool. If it boots and you can get to the repair this computer link then I would say it's Windows 10. 

Have you tried powercycling the computer?

win10.bootinstall02.jpg

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:58 PM

Boot your computer with Windows Setup DVD/USB or KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD, DVD or USB flash drives, and if the computer will not turn on while booted from any one of the bootable operating system then its not hardware issue its installed Windows 10 causing the issue. So please try what i have advice you so we can understand what is causing the issue.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#8 KimTaehyung

KimTaehyung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:54 PM

Boot your computer with Windows Setup DVD/USB or KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD, DVD or USB flash drives, and if the computer will not turn on while booted from any one of the bootable operating system then its not hardware issue its installed Windows 10 causing the issue. So please try what i have advice you so we can understand what is causing the issue.

It is not an operating system issue windows 10 does not control post or system power as i explained before maybe i was not completely clear. It booted once into windows and shut off. After that when you turn the pc on it comes on for about a few seconds DOES NOT POST shuts off then turns back on a few seconds later and then shuts back off and continues this. infinite power on off cycle. this is not a operating system problem.

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:28 PM

It is not an operating system issue windows 10 does not control post or system power as i explained before maybe i was not completely clear. It booted once into windows and shut off. After that when you turn the pc on it comes on for about a few seconds DOES NOT POST shuts off then turns back on a few seconds later and then shuts back off and continues this. infinite power on off cycle. this is not a operating system problem.

If you knew this is not Windows 10 issue then why post at Windows 10 forum. I have not learned something new today as you read my Overview of the Microsoft Windows Operating Systems tutorial you will notice i know how boot process happens with computers. 

Because you think this is hardware error ask one of the moderator to move your thread to appropriate forum.

For now i will give you tips on how to troubleshot hardware issue.

1. Connect your computer different wall outlet.
  2. Check all cable connections are properly connected to motherboard.
  3. Disconnect all connected adapters like graphic card, audio card and network card and all connected HDD also externally attached devices disconnect all except for Monitor and  leave single RAM module connected and power on your computer to see if powers down again.
  4. Reset BIOS settings by taking out CMOS battery for 30 minutes or by using BIOS settings reset jumper on the motherboard.
  5. If you can test voltage output of power supply unite with multimeter.

Edited by FreeBooter, 31 July 2016 - 11:29 PM.

- Dalai Lama

#10 KimTaehyung

KimTaehyung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:30 PM

If you knew this is not Windows 10 issue then why post at Windows 10 forum. I have not learned something new today as you read my Overview of the Microsoft Windows Operating Systems tutorial you will notice i know how boot process happens with computers. 

Because you think this is hardware error ask one of the moderator to move your thread to appropriate forum.

For now i will give you tips on how to troubleshot hardware issue.

1. Connect your computer different wall outlet.
  2. Check all cable connections are properly connected to motherboard.
  3. Disconnect all connected adapters like graphic card, audio card and network card and all connected HDD also externally attached devices disconnect all except for Monitor and  leave single RAM module connected and power on your computer to see if powers down again.
  4. Reset BIOS settings by taking out CMOS battery for 30 minutes or by using BIOS settings reset jumper on the motherboard.
  5. If you can test voltage output of power supply unite with multimeter.

I knew this was not an os issue but a moderator thought it nessecary despite me telling him this was not a darn OS issue to move my thread here so here i am

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Okay then lets make sure its not operating system by following my instructions above also can you boot your computer into BIOS setup utility?

- Dalai Lama

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:35 PM

One more think i forget to mention your computer could be overheating so clean all dirt and dust from inside your computer and apply new thermal paste to CPU.

- Dalai Lama

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Please try to boot into the BIOS.  If you can do this the problem is most likely not hardware related.

If this was a overheating issue you wouldn't be experiencing this restart loop.  The computer would shut down and not be able to restart until the computer cooled off enough not to be a danger to the CPU.

In your first post you stated that you "unplugged" the computer.  Was that all you did, the computer wasn't moved or other peripheral devices disconnected? 

#14 KimTaehyung

KimTaehyung
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

ok I have reset the cmos by removing the battery for 30mins before placing back in. I then turned on the Pc it came on for 2seconds shut off and came back on (the same power up/down cycle from before) Except NOW the computer does not show any video after the cmos battery event. the computer powers on all fans hdd spool up etc but there is no bios menu etc as the monitor stays black with no signal. The motherboard does not have any onboard graphics and 100% replies on the pci express  graphics card keep in mind it did show video on the screen before the battery removal now it shoes nothing as if the whole board is dead which in now inclined to believe. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

On the back of the motherboard there is a small black button between the audio ports and your USB ports. Press that to clear your CMOS settings. 

I would power cycle the computer by pulling the power, holding down the power button for 30 seconds then rebooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users