Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo 3000 G530 shuts down on own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

Hello,

I have a Lenovo 3000 G530 Laptop, that shuts down on its own, after running, for 5-20 minutes. The Lenovo, has an approx, 250GB SSD, with 3GB of RAM installed, and is running Ubuntu 14.04.4 as the OS. I originally thought that it was possibly a corrupt battery causing the issue, so today I only used the AC adapter to power the machine. The system powered up fine, and when I opened a web browser the system shut off instantly. With the battery out, and the AC adapter unplugged, I held down the power button for 60 seconds, with hopes of resetting/draining the power and starting over. Unfortunately, after booting up, (Still without the battery) the system shut down in a few minutes. I am not sure if this is a hardware issue, or if there are some Ubuntu settings that I am not aware of, that could be causing this issue, but I would really appreciate some advice. Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:46 PM

Do you have a way to check your temps? If not, try here. A simple hand test on the bottom works too. Another test you can try is boot into BIOS and see if it can run for 20+ min. 

If so, try looking at the logs in Ubuntu to see what might be cause the crash. If these instructions don't work, I can try to find ones more specific to your distro version.

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:52 PM

Thank you, for the reply Trikein. If I place my hand on the bottom of the machine, I cannot feel any heat, anywhere. I will log into the BIOS and time it, for 20 minutes. Then I will try to navigate through those logs. Thank you, for the suggestions,.

#4 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:14 AM

After booting into the BIOS, I came back a few hours later, and it was still up. I then restarted the system, the Ubuntu logo appeared, then the machine shut off. After a second restart, GRUB appeared, then the system shut off again. I am getting used to this machine shutting down on it's own, but what I found surprising, was that GRUB appeared. That was the first time that this has occurred on this machine. I selected the Ubuntu option, from GRUB at 3:28Am. The machine booted, and at 3:31Am, it had shut off again. Finally, I tried experimenting with a live Ubuntu USB, with hopes of pulling some logs. Unfortunately, after booting into live mode, the system shut off once again.

#5 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

Can anyone else please share some suggestions?

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 03:45 AM

Hi, Wizard here, from Linux & Unix Section.

Hello to Hardware Dudes (& Dudettes?).

The OP has been receiving some help from us, but to limited effect, with software issues on the subject laptop.

As I understand it, beachfeet's Lenovo is slightly different to the specs I had viewed for the model. It has two USB ports, not 4. The 3GB memory is in two slots, with 1x2GB, and 1x1.

beachfeet is aware of Memtest86+, which he could use to check or eliminate memory as being the problem, but without being able to sustain even a Live session of Ubuntu from his USB stick for any period of time, it is difficult for him to get any results.

We have a Linux app called psensor, and I have installed both his Ubuntu 14.04.4 Distro on my laptop and have it also on a USB stick, and can verify that if he can get any significant period of uptime, he/we can bring to you sensor readings on eg temps, &c.

Hoping you can help him, and if I can be of any assistance, I am happy to help.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - @Trikein - good links :thumbup2: , they are the sort of stuff we could get for him to help you guys help him

Edit - added BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 03 August 2016 - 03:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users