Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ransomware on my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eclark53

eclark53

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:18 PM

Windows Product Activation Screen Locked up my computer, I cannot boot to safe mode, Task manager will not launch and I am unable to change the bios to boot from a USB drive or CD.

Help

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2016 - 08:16 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Spt to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Can you restart the system from Windows?

If so, hold the Shift key down while restarting, that should force the Startup Repair stuff to launch.

3 times stopping the bootup will also let you into Startup Repair

But you have to get it when the little dotted circles are spinning.

I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum (as they are much more experienced at this than I am):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:13 AM

What makes you believe you have ransomeware?  

Are you receiving demands for payment to release your files?  If you are, please post the exact message.

Since this was originally in the Windows 10 forum I'm assuming that this is your operating system?

If this is Windows 10 you need to be aware that you need to be booted into the operating system in order to set it to boot into Safe Mode.  Windows discontinued the F8 option to boot into Safe Mode because Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 boot too fast to be able to use the F8 key.  In Window 10 you need to open the search box and type in msconfig.  When Windows Configuration opens click/tap on Boot, then click/tap of Safe Boot, then click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 eclark53

eclark53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:12 AM

Well, this was a system used only for work and did not have much data on it just the OS and the programs necessary to access the company's VPN.

HP walked me through the system restore.  Striking the escape key while the system is rebooting launches the system restore functionality.  There was also an option available to backup your data prior to restoring the system to original factory settings.  

What happened was I looked in Programs and Features and I saw about six or more programs installed on the given date.  I started uninstalling them.  All went well.  Then when I attempted to uninstall the last program the system automatically shut down and rebooted.  And after reboot came this image on the screen requesting the Windows Product Key.  However, there was now way of inserting the key because it was an image and not a database program.

Don't know how all those programs got installed on the system.  But just glad that it was a system with no data.

Thanks guys!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:16 AM

Did you use the System Recovery partition to reinstall the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users