Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abit KT7E motherboard with a bad keyboard input.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 meadel

meadel

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 10:10 AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but from what I see it is very informative and helpful. I am not sure I should use this thread or start a new one but here is my story and question.

I built a computer a few years ago and have since been out of the loop with regards to the tech world.
I have a old Abit KT7E motherboard with what I believe has a bad keyboard input. I am getting a few boot up problems. One that a windows file is missing and the inability to use the keyboard to go to the bios or start in safe mode. There is a low constant beep from the MOBO.

I am leaning on getting a new computer anyway but really need my data off my two 40gb Maxtor HD's.
I have just seen these new HD enclosures and was wondering if I can get one to transfer files from these two HD to a new computer.

Is this possible !! If not, what then would be my best option for saving these files.

[The computer I am using now ( HP 6746C Pavillion.. is a piece of junk) ]

Thanks in advance for any advise

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but from what I see it is very informative and helpful. I am not sure I should use this thread or start a new one but here is my story and question.

I built a computer a few years ago and have since been out of the loop with regards to the tech world.
I have a old Abit KT7E motherboard with what I believe has a bad keyboard input. I am getting a few boot up problems. One that a windows file is missing and the inability to use the keyboard to go to the bios or start in safe mode. There is a low constant beep from the MOBO.

I am leaning on getting a new computer anyway but really need my data off my two 40gb Maxtor HD's.
I have just seen these new HD enclosures and was wondering if I can get one to transfer files from these two HD to a new computer.

Is this possible !! If not, what then would be my best option for saving these files.

[The computer I am using now ( HP 6746C Pavillion.. is a piece of junk) ]

Thanks in advance for any advise

the enclosures just provide a 'box' for internal hard drives that dont fit or connect to the new computer. they connect USB or IEEE1394. You will be able to transfer files by going to 'My Computer' and you should see the 2 Maxtors if you have them hooked up to the new computer.

Does this help?

#3 meadel

meadel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

Thanks..

Does file system matter? My old hard drives are FAT 32 and I suppose a new computer would be NTFS.

:thumbsup:

#4 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Thanks..

Does file system matter? My old hard drives are FAT 32 and I suppose a new computer would be NTFS.

:thumbsup:

Go here:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...at32_file_s.htm

it explains 'How Do I Convert My FAT32 File System To NTFS'

it should help, let me know!

#5 meadel

meadel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:54 AM

Thanks so much !

#6 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

Welcome. its our thing to help.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 21 August 2006 - 11:45 AM

There is a low constant beep from the MOBO.

Beep codes:
http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

inability to use the keyboard to go to the bios or start in safe mode.

Are you using a USB connected keyboard?
USB doesn't usually load until Windows does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users