Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Protocols Missing on this computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 john1816

john1816

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:20 PM

I just recently bought a new laptop which has Windows 10 in it. I am trying to connect my new laptop to my home's wifi but when I troubleshoot it, it gives "One or more network protocols are missing on this computer". All other devices in my home can connect to my home wifi except my new laptop just fine.

I've already tried some repairs but they dont seem to fix it. There's a lot of fixes out in the net but i might run the risk of ruining it even more. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:25 PM

Is this a used or refurbished computer? 

What protocals do you have listed? To see them, press Windows key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click Wireless network adapter and left click properties. It should look something like this:

configure-network-card.png

What protocols are you missing?

Edited by Trikein, 30 July 2016 - 10:25 PM.

#3 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

Its a brand new laptop bought 2 days ago. MSI CX62 6QD. Yes it looks exactly like that, I even had to install the "Reliable Multicast Protocol" (it was initially missing, i installed it as one of the fixes i tried off the net) and ticked it in the checkbox list but still doesn't work. 

Edited by john1816, 30 July 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:03 PM

The picture above is for the default options. You should only have other things if you know for sure something on your computer uses it. Multicast routing is not typically needed on a home network. Can you post a screenshot of your adapters properties? Make sure you are looking at your wireless adapter settings, and not your local area connection like in my screenshot. 

Also, does a wired connection work? If so, compare your Wifi adapter properties to your Local network adapter properties. 

Last, have you downloaded the latest driver from MSI's website? Look under Wireless LAN. 

#5 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:43 PM

Yes, i made sure that i was looking at the Wireless. This is my current configuration:

A1_2.jpg

A2_1.jpg

It turns out that if I plug in with a wired connection, the same error occurs: "Network Protocols Missing on this computer"

A3_1.jpg

Which has the same settings as my wireless:

A4_1.jpg

I've just downloaded the LAN and Wireless LAN drivers off the MSI website. My LAN driver is Qualcomm while my WLAN driver is Intel. I'm going to check if the brand of drivers from the MSI website matches the ones in my laptop right now. I guess I have to uninstall the existing drivers that I have and install the ones in the MSI website to give it a shot. 

#6 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:00 AM

I've downloaded and installed the latest Wirelan from the MSI website, but it still gives the same error and i cannot connect to the internet :( (Looked under Windows 10, 64-bit) 

It turns out that the driver in the laptop and from the MSI website are both Intel drivers, they match. 

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:01 AM

Do you know for sure you need any of the protocols besides the 7 in my screenshot? If not, try uninstalling them instead of disabling them. Just make sure to keep those 7. Also, double click on Internet Protocal 4 and make sure your IP and DNS is set to automatic. Finally, try a reset of your network settings by Window Key + R > CMD > netsh winsock reset.

PS. Were the protocol always in that order? This PC doesn't look like a fresh install. Looks like IPv4 was missing and someone manually installed it. 

PPS. I saw some people saying uninstalling and reinstalling can help. But I think that might just reset the settings like winsock reset above. Can't hurt to try though. Try uninstalling and rebooting first, and see what windows installs automatically. 

Edited by Trikein, 31 July 2016 - 12:05 AM.

#8 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:19 AM

Ok I uninstalled the other protocols beside the 7. This is how my config looks now:

ASD.jpg

Also did make sure that IP and DNS set to automatic, also tried a netsh winsock reset and rebooted. Didn't work. Windows didn't install anything automatically too...

By the time i opened my laptop, the protocols were installed and configured in that order...

#9 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:21 AM

Try solution given here. Different problem but maybe similar solution?

Edited by Trikein, 31 July 2016 - 02:22 AM.

#10 john1816

john1816
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:42 AM

Yup i also tried that solution you linked me, didn't work. 

Ok you won't believe how i fixed it just now. Just tried fixing this last night 2 hrs past midnight and made me go restless, then 5 hrs today and made me panic. I don't know how i exactly managed to fix it, but it seems that there is an issue with the network driver (software side). 

1.) I uninstalled the existing Intel network driver (both from device manager and the uninstall programs list)

2.) I installed the Intel network driver downloaded from the MSI website, tried it but didn't work.

3.) I uninstalled the network driver and installed a Realtek network driver for WLAN windows 10 (trying another driver), didn't work. It didn't show up in network and sharing center. 

4.) Uninstalled the Realtek driver and installed the intel network driver. At this stage, i couldn't see the wireless adapter in the Network and sharing center window and a lot of "Mini Wan xxx..." entries appeared in my device manager, this made me panic. I then thought of trying to do a  clean install of all the drivers involving WLAN (Wireless drivers) by removing all the Mini wan entries in my device manager then uninstall and reinstall the intel network driver listed in the manager.

-Directly uninstalling the mini wan and intel network driver entry in the device manager made it re-appeared after reboot

-I instead disabled Before uninstalling the mini wan and intel network driver entries in my device manager and then reboot

5.) At this stage after I rebooted, I still noticed that my intel network driver appeared but the mini wan entries were gone in the device manager. It was set to disabled in the network and sharing center. I then enabled it and set it to connect to my home wifi, entering my password. It magically worked. I also noticed that i didn't install the software bundle "the 365MB file" from the MSI website at this stage, when it is working now. Yet it makes me wonder how can a WLAN driver in my device manager (which keeps on appearing after I uninstalled it) still work right now without installing the driver file i downloaded from the MSI website.

I haven't tested as far as the LAN is concerned, but I hope it is fixed or I don't mess things up at this stage. 

If it turns out to be that the Intel software bundle is the culprit, then it might make sense to just uninstall it, but somehow retain the WLAN intel driver that keeps popping up. 

P.S. 

I have also tried the "delete the WinSock and Winsock2 registry key folders via regedit (After doing a backup), and replacing it with fresh ones" which didnt work, so I reverted to my backup via File>Import

Edited by john1816, 31 July 2016 - 02:53 AM.

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:37 AM

Wow, im lost. Im guessing it has something to do with the driver not installing properly. Maybe there are errors that you fixed just by uninstalling-reinstalling so many way.

"Yet it makes me wonder how can a WLAN driver in my device manager (which keeps on appearing after I uninstalled it)"

Window keeps a copy of drivers that it can install from on reboot.  Maybe the problem was the driver wasn't fully uninstalling? Or maybe the real issue was the chipset driver (Mini WLAN..) which you didn't update until uninstalling/installing. Who knows. Just glad you got it working. 

PS. Whats really odd is this seems similar to issues of yours here. Maybe a MSI issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users