Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to convert Word docs to PDF

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Can anyone recommend a good tool for converting Word (2007) documents to PDFs?

I have PrimoPDF. It works pretty well, but it cannot handle equations.

I also have Acrobat, but it screws many of my Word settings and it also has trouble with equations.

It doesn't have to be freeware, but I'd prefer to keep it around $50 or less.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

When you say you have Acrobat, do you mean you are using the Word 2007 ad-on or using Acrobat Reader? If the ad-on is not working for you, I hear good things about CutePDF but I have never personally used it. CutePDF works off your print option. If you are looking for a stand alone client, check out PDFCreator. Do you have a aversion to free-ware? I don't know many pay options because I am poor.  :cherry:

Edited by Trikein, 30 July 2016 - 10:48 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

I don't use office but another office suite that does equations and BullZip free works for me. You need to make sure you are downloading the free version on this page.

http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php

It's the Community Edition.

http://cdn.bullzip.com/download/pdf_free/Setup_BullzipPDFPrinter_10_24_0_2543_FREE.exe\

During the install you will be asked to download Ghostscript which is needed to run Bullzip. It will create a BullZip printer in Device and Printers. You will be able to print to a PDF from any application.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2016 - 10:20 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2016 - 11:19 AM

There is no reason to buy a paid version if a person has no issues with the free version of a PDF tool. I have never had a corrupted file using BullZip. The original format has never been destroyed. 

#5 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2016 - 02:28 PM

I have clients that use both CutePDF and Bullzip without issue.  

#6 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:01 AM

When you say you have Acrobat, do you mean you are using the Word 2007 ad-on or using Acrobat Reader?

I have Acrobat 9 Pro. I also have the Microsoft Word 2007 add-on. Both have problems.

If the ad-on is not working for you, I hear good things about CutePDF but I have never personally used it. CutePDF works off your print option. If you are looking for a stand alone client, check out PDFCreator.

I tried PDFCreator and hated it.   :devil:  They also put me on several spam lists.

Do you have a aversion to free-ware?

No, I just wanted to say that I also have no aversion to paying a reasonable price for a really good product. Software developers have to eat, too, no? Their bytes are not very filling.

I don't know many pay options because I am poor.  :cherry:

Well, I'm not rich, but my time is worth something. If a $50 product saves me just a few minutes each time I use it, I figure I'm way ahead.

Maybe your ship will come in one day.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

Edited by Cynthia Moore, 12 January 2017 - 03:02 AM.

#7 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:03 AM

There is no reason to buy a paid version if a person has no issues with the free version of a PDF tool. I have never had a corrupted file using BullZip. The original format has never been destroyed. 

OK, thanks. I'm off to try it out now...

#8 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 03:05 AM

Why would they need both? Don't they do pretty much the same thing?

#9 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2017 - 01:52 PM

I just downloaded and installed both BullZip and CutePDF. They both created a PDF that would print correctly without scrambling the text as the Word add-in does. But they both have one fairly serious defect. They default directory where the PDF will be saved is My Documents, not the directory where the source file is located. This is very bad. It reminds me of IrfanView, which has a similar terminal disease. In the case of IrfanView, they are actually proud of this particular defect.

I'll check with the developers to see if this can be fixed. If not, the search for well-designed software continues. I'll check eBay to see if anyone is selling Diogenes' lamp. (sigh)

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

I will second the recommendation of PDFCreator, which I've been using for years.

PDF Forge has begun the loathsome practice of bundling, but if you actually use "Custom" settings at setup and uncheck what you don't want you get a clean and fully functional copy.  It also allows you to save the resulting PDF file wherever you wish to have it saved.

As an aside, with the ubiquity of bundling and "special offer" additions, I have to recommend that everyone who ever touches any kind of free software install Unchecky.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 Millie11

Millie11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

If you don't have Word Application installed you can convert Word docs files to PDF using a free file converting online tool such as https://www.freefileconvert.com/docx-pdf . It's quite simple to use. You just have to upload the Docx file and then convert it to PDF or various other formats such as PDF,azw3, bib and many more.

#12 TPJones491

TPJones491

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 08 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

Why would they need both? Don't they do pretty much the same thing?

I think he means he has separate clients that use one or another program. 

#13 baines77

baines77

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:56 AM

Correct Cynthia.  Additionally, I use Foxit here at home and it works just fine too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users