Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Goodbye Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

Like many, I waited until the last minute and then installed Windows 10 yesterday in spite of all the complaints I'd been reading.

Here's my list of complaints from just one day of use.

1 - Slowed down my computer.

2 - Found my desktop icons shuffled when the computer woke up.

3 - Restarted to see if icons would go back to normal. Didn't. And the restart took 17 minutes while updates were happening.

4 - Watching little dots running around in a circle during restart - very annoying.

5 - And that opening logo - The circle on top of a bigger semi-circle. Is Microsoft laughing at fat people. I wonder who the moron was that thought that up.

My take: If you are having problems with Windows 10 and were happy with the previous version, just fire up the WayBack Machine and get your good Windows back like I just did on all my computers.

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2016 - 08:01 AM.
Moved from Win 10 Support to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:20 PM

Seeing you have already taken that step....you are not in need of support.

However, there is another alternative.

Linux  

....with BC's renowned support area

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:20 AM

I've gotta say that there are many different alternatives:

- Linux

- Mac OS X

- other alternative operating systems (too numerous to list them all)

- Your old version of Windows

- Purchasing a newer version of Windows than your version (but not W10)

- Or this long list of things to try to get W10 running well for you (as you probably already have the digital entitlement for it on this hardware):

- continuing to attempt to fix this copy of the OS
- System Restore to a point before the problems started happening.
- Repair install of W10:  https://www.winhelp.us/non-destructive-reinstall-of-windows-8-and-8-1.html
- Reset of the OS (considering both the "Keep My Files" and the "Remove Everything" options)
- revert to the previous OS (both at less than 30 days, and at more than 30 days since initial update)
- revert to the previous OS with another attempt at installing W10 (I don't recommend this)
- clean install of the previous OS
- clean install of the previous OS, then update to W10 (only needed if a clean install of W10 fails)
- W10 clean install

Edited by usasma, 31 July 2016 - 06:22 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:07 PM

I imaged my old Windows 7 laptop that initially had Vista but was eligible for the free upgrade to 7. Clean installed Windows 10 and imaged it. Received the Digital Entitlement and immediately almost immediately imaged back to 7.

I found that it actually ran slower than my Windows 7 especially when opening Settings or Control Panel. I saw these default flashing tiles on the start screen, promos for candy crush and an ungodly amount of switches in Privacy Settings. In Ubuntu I had one switch in privacy settings and that is off by default.  I got lost trying to find Device Manager or Control Panel. I had to use the Search Box for those.  I think having settings in two different locations i.e. Settings and Control Panel is kind of ridiculous. Well, at least I have an image of 10 if I ever decide to place it back on the computer;

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#5 sweedishfish

sweedishfish

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

Now I'm actually really curious.

Was I the only one that said  "THANK GOD!!!!!" after seeing "Free Windows 10 upgrade offer has ended" message on their system tray? lol

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:46 AM

Now I'm actually really curious.

Was I the only one that said  "THANK GOD!!!!!" after seeing "Free Windows 10 upgrade offer has ended" message on their system tray? lol

Nope. I thought I heard a collective sigh throughout my entire neighborhood.  :lol: 

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2016 - 04:49 AM

Seeing you have already taken that step....you are not in need of support.

However, there is another alternative.

Linux  

....with BC's renowned support area

+1

Just took my Windows 7 machines (about 4 years old) backed up my stuff and did a breezy install of Mint 18, which is running crazy fast on my old desktop.

Can't recommend it enough.

I'll always work on Windows machines due to my job but I'm spending the next couple of years learning how to tweak this new OS the way Windows used to let me.

Windows 10 really has been a slow-moving train wreck.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#8 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:18 PM

Problem free since moving ahead to Linux.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users