Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Podcasts to network for storage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BersaThunder

BersaThunder

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

Hello all,

Noob to the forum, been a lurker for a bit but finally joined, but not new to computers. First actual post, so sorry if this has been covered before.

On my home network, I have a PC that I use as a server for my laptop and tablet, and to store backups on. It is wire connected to my router.

I would like to start downloading 2 or 3 podcasts, some are daily, others are weekly, then stream them for playback over the home network. I want to store these podcasts on the server/PC.

My question is, what is the best solution to automatically download and store these podcasts? I would also like to configure it in such a way that after a specified number of podcasts are stored, the system would automatically start to delete or overwrite the oldest podcasts, keeping the most recent available for playback.

Opinions on best options and configurations??

Thanks

BT

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Itunes has most of the settings you are looking for built in. First subscribe to the podcasts you want. See here for more info on how to do that. Click Media type pop-up button near the top left of the iTunes window, choose Podcasts, then select Podcasts in the sidebar on the left. If you don’t see Podcasts, choose Edit Menu, select Podcasts, then click Done. Click My Podcasts, then click Defaults near the bottom left of the window. Should see these settings. Set "Download Episodes" to on to automatically download them. You can also set a max number of podcast before deleted and/or delete podcast you have listened too. This is assuming you have Itunes 12, if Itunes 11, see here for slightly different instructions. 

Edited by Trikein, 30 July 2016 - 10:20 PM.

#3 BersaThunder

BersaThunder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 03 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

Sorry, work has kept me away the last few days.

Thanks for the reply, that looks like a good option, I'll give it a try.

BT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users