Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invisible Memory in a Dell 9100 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Datamind

Datamind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hey, I'm a longtime fan of this site, finally asking a question myself.

I bought this computer from a friend, and initallly everything wasorking fine. I installed all of the recommended updates to my Dell Studio XPS 9100, including a bios update, and at some point after the bios update, my ram showed as 2 gig when 6 gigs are installed physically. I tried reorder the ram, and the result was the same in a combos/positions: the ram appears functional but only one chip seems to be in use by the bios/system. I would like to upgrade this computer with more ram, but need to solve this problem with the current ram before I spend anymore on this computer. I note that I'm fairly sure all the DDR3 chips are working individually, and also that I wasn't able to downgrade to the original bios version, the installer from dell won't let you downgrade your bios.
Please help me allow my system to use it's full installed amount of ram, seriously, @ 2G/RAM the machine is awfully slow.

Help me Obe-Wan your my only hope!

Here are the specs for my machine:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DAVID-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Studio XPS 9100
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A04, 10/21/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name David-PC\David
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.99 GB
Available Physical Memory 645 MB
Total Virtual Memory 3.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.53 GB
Page File Space 1.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:08 PM

Make sure there is no dust in the RAM slots.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

I suggest trying the DIMMs one at a time to completely confirm their operation, then one at a time in each DIMM slot to confirm the operation of the slots/controllers (there are 3 controller channels).

Another consideration is, if it may have been happening from immediately after the BIOS update, just took a while to recognize, and this BIOS update was done without the option selected to clear the NVRAM, a CMOS data location may have changed in the new BIOS and be giving bad data. Clearing the CMOS by removing the CMOS backup battery for some time, or moving the appropriate CLR jumper may clear up odd operation.

Edited by Platypus, 05 August 2016 - 09:55 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users