Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 full of bugs/crashes after upgrading from Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

About a week ago before the free upgrade ended I upgraded my PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I was really excited but then I noticed many bugs that disappointed me-

1 WiFi connection gets stuck on verifying and connecting which forces me to use the PdaNet app on my phone to connect to the internet.

2 Sometimes after long periods of use the Start Menu and Cortana will crash and will never open up unless I restart my computer.

3 Steam will take a really long time to log me in or will sometimes just not log me in at all and if I click cancel and try to reopen it then it will just crash unless I restart my computer.

4 Whenever I shut down my computer it will not completely shut down unless I turn it off manually with the PSU switch.

Thats all I can think of for now but will add more things to this thread if I find anything else. If there is a way to fix all of this then please tell me how and please help me out here because i'm getting tired of dealing with all of these bugs/crashes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,814 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:10 PM

I think it would be reasonable to suggest resetting your pc

Read the articles below carefully.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 07:34 PM

I think it would be reasonable to suggest resetting your pc

Read the articles below carefully.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/reset-windows-10-pc

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

Yes but are there any other methods besides reinstalling Windows 10 because I don't want to have to go through that long process again.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,814 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

After re reading your list of problems, I think the lesser of the two evils would be to reset.

Resetting would more or less be a guaranteed fix.......whereas attacking each of the problems you have listed there would take a great deal of time.......and you may end up resetting anyway !

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,814 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:22 AM

When you finally get it back and working nicely.....

Get yourself an external hard drive.....download and install Macrium, and take an image of your hard drive

At least then if win 10 goes pear shaped again (which it is prone to do)...then you have a good backup that you can simply install over the top of the current program/files

If you make a "thing" of redoing the backup every week or two weeks.....you will always have a fresh copy to go to

Taking an image takes approx 25 minutes...restoring an image takes about the same time.

Macrium Reflect 

In macrium it is important  to  create rescue media

When you install Macrium you will see this::

14tde1.jpg

Dont put it off....DO IT.

THEN....click on "other tasks", and "Add Recovery Boot Menu Option"

Thats it.

#6 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:25 AM

When you finally get it back and working nicely.....

Get yourself an external hard drive.....download and install Macrium, and take an image of your hard drive

At least then if win 10 goes pear shaped again (which it is prone to do)...then you have a good backup that you can simply install over the top of the current program/files

If you make a "thing" of redoing the backup every week or two weeks.....you will always have a fresh copy to go to

Taking an image takes approx 25 minutes...restoring an image takes about the same time.

Macrium Reflect 

In macrium it is important  to  create rescue media

When you install Macrium you will see this::

14tde1.jpg

Dont put it off....DO IT.

THEN....click on "other tasks", and "Add Recovery Boot Menu Option"

Thats it.

What about something cloud related in case I happen to lose the external hard drive or the external hard drive breaks.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,814 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 12:32 AM

I am not familiar with that approach....hopefully someone else will chime in

#8 POKEGAMERZ

POKEGAMERZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 11:47 PM

I am not familiar with that approach....hopefully someone else will chime in

I have discovered something that I think is really strange with Windows 10. I decided to try and remove my USB wifi adapter from the computer and tried to boot without it and I noticed that many of the bugs may have possibly disappeared by just removing the wifi adapter. I can still easily get internet through the PdaNet application on my Android phone. First of all without the USB wifi adapter Steam loaded up right away. The next thing I noticed was that the start menu and cortana would not crash. Another thing I noticed was that when I selected shutdown on Windows 10 the computer was able to shut down like right away. Is it possible that Windows 10 has some strange bugs that somehow are caused through the network card? I am not sure if the problem is fixed yet but I'll still have to test it out again in order to know for sure whether the network card was the main cause of all these bugs/crashes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users