Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New router causing issues, unable to port forward to make a gaming server

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scarletxhazard

Scarletxhazard

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

I had gotten a new router/modem (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900/C7000) a few days ago and got it all set up with my ISP and went to switch over my IP info for my game servers and now they wont work, none of my ports that are enabled are open. I have rebooted the router, switched all info need to port, and in the server to match the routers, fiddled with the firewall, and I've checked for updates and nothing seems to be working. I'm not at all a computer wiz but i follow directions on how to do things pretty well so if someone has an idea to help me I'd greatly appropriate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

Who is your ISP? I know some, like the Cox, that disable certain features on the cable gateways they rent to their customers to limit what they have to support. One way to test that is to see if bridge mode works. If that is disabled, usually the unit is running a firmware modified by the ISP. 

If it's not that, the next thing I would check is to make sure you have the same DHCP reservations. If you are using static IPs that are in the routers/gateways DHCP pool, you might have IP conflicts on your network, breaking the routing.

Next, when you say the ports aren't open, how are you testing? One thing to remeber is your public IP would have changed with the new gateway, so if your scanning ports on the old public IP, if won't work.  Do you use DDNS?

Last, does the game server work from on the network? For instance can you access game server running on PC 1 om your network from PC 2? 

Edited by Trikein, 30 July 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#3 Scarletxhazard

Scarletxhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

I bought the router from Fry's electronics, its not rented, and I do have cox. They set up my old router and I didn't have this issue. I also assigned my computer with a new static IP thinking I needed it, all of my IP addresses have changed except the default gateway. 

I was using a site to check if my ports were open. It used my new local IP and i set the port number for the server and it said it wasn't open. and no i have not used DDNS nor do i know how to. Like I said I'm not savvy in super computer lingo, hehe...

now one can access the server from any computer.

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

"They set up my old router and I didn't have this issue."

They set up port forwarding for you on a retail gateway? Wow. I used to help run Cox Home Network team so this surprises me. That was before they outsourced and their support went to poop. I quit. :-) Any hooo..How do you have your network configured? Any other routers or switches? 

" I also assigned my computer with a new static IP thinking I needed it"

Can you explain this? What exactly did you do? Did you set up a static IP under network properties? Did you set up DHCP reservations? Do you mean a static WAN IP? Maybe start with a screen shot of your IP rules and port forwarding rules? You can upload screenshot to postimg.org and then use the picture button in tool bar and paste the direct link. 

"now one can access the server from any computer."

Do you mean "no one"? If so, it's not a port forwarding issue. Can computer 2 ping computer 1 with game server on it? Keep in mind both these computers have to be on your network.

#5 Scarletxhazard

Scarletxhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

I feel really stupid... There was a choice to have port forwarding on and off in my settings on the router and it was set to never instead of always.... I just switched it to always and the server works now.... thank you for your help and sorry for wasting your time hehe...

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:05 PM

My only goal is for the problem to be fixed. Nothing wrong with a easy answer!  :bananas:

If you have any issues, feel free to post again.

#7 Scarletxhazard

Scarletxhazard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 03:46 PM

Okay, thanks ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users