Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer only boots through boot menu or F8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Saintzel

Saintzel

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

I'm working on a laptop of an acquintance of mine and I'm at a loss.

It is a hp pavilion g7 1390sd.

A couple of days ago they tried to install W10 on it. This installation failed at 99% and after a couple of tries they gave up and just kept using W7. After this they have used the laptop without any problem for a day of 2-3.

Since today the laptop won't boot normally. When booting it keeps beeping so they asked for my help.

I found out I can start windows if I press esc at startup for boot menu and choose the hard disk, press f8 before windows loads and choose start normally, or when I go into BIOS before windows load.

When I do this, it boots fine, computer works like nothing has happened, but the very next reboot it fails to boot again.
I assumed something with the W10 install might interfere with the normal bootup procedure and decided to reinstall the laptop.

I have now done this twice and still no difference.

I have fixxed the MBR and rebuild the BCD but none of this makes any difference.

I have swapped the harddisk with another one and it still has the same problem.

I have reset the bios to default settings but this also does not change anything.

And for some reason according to HP's website there are no drivers available for this model, so I can't perform a BIOS updates in the hopes that this would solve this.

So, there I stand. I can't think of anything I could try anymore and it is really annoying. The computer is still workable with a workaround, but since this is a laptop of an elderly couple, it would be preferred to just act normally.

Do you guys have any ideas left for me?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

Hi,

How is the boot order set on the BIOS?

The normal boot gives you only beeps no errors? Windows loads?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Saintzel

Saintzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

Hard drive first.

Also tried to change it to cd first.

Normal booting gives me 5 seconds wait time to hit a key. (Set is to 5 myself, can choose 0-30)

After that, continuous beeping, no error, black screen with a blinking _ 

Booting without a HDD attached just brings up the bootmenu.

There are no other devices connected to the laptop, so it's not an usb drive or something that messes with things.

EDIT:

I just tried to boot from a cd and bootable usb stick. usb stick same behaviour. Lot's of beeping black screen.

CD also gives a lot of beeps but does load and then the beeping stops.

Edited by Saintzel, 31 July 2016 - 04:42 AM.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 05:46 AM

Very strange!

Could be some problem with the keyboard like a stuck key?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 Saintzel

Saintzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:12 AM

This seems to be the problem!

Removed the internal keyboard and booting is normal!

Very strange, because when it boots, windows does not show any keystrokes.

Now to figure out if I can fix this keyboard or a new keyboard is required.

Thank you for your insight!

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

Sometimes the keys start working badly after the first time you press them.

Just the other day I found a keyboard at my work perfectly looking with a problem on the "1" key. the first time pressed it produces the correct number but then it generates about 6 1's and then stops!

I was accessing the BIOS and typing the security password when it start beeping because of too many imputed characters.

___
Rui

#7 Saintzel

Saintzel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

I tried every single key in windows just now and none of them stick.

I have a couple of laptops but none of those keyboard connectors match :(

This HP model has a very wide connector, so I can't test if it is really the keyboard or something wrong with the connection.

Think I'll just teach them to press esc and enter when booting and see how it will keep up in normal use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users