Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Manual Defragging

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 healing41

healing41

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hello and thankyou for being here for us

Can You tell me if copying fonts to my other drive and the back will minimize the fragmentation of my c drive?

I have a computer that was not taken care of properly and there are some files that are fragment 3or 4or 5hundred bits and 20MB size etc .

I would like to copy them and replace to original drive and not so much fragments can you tell me how to do that?

THAAANk you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:14 PM

I don't know that moving system files to other drives would accomplish much except for moving the main paging file to a seperate drive (not a partition and allowing the root drive to retain a small paging file for dumps and minidumps) which will make writing to the page file faster and require less defragmenting on the boot drive.

Moving data storage ie doc files, music files, pic files will also be beneficial.

#3 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 12:55 PM

I am thinkinking that by making a copy of say the font

you know copy paste to drive d would get all of the fragments together and then deleting the file on drive c and the pasting or whatever the process is back to the right place on c drive as a whole . that would put the file all in one place ther are lots of these in lot of places according to the printout i make aftyer running defragment

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 14 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

Have you used the defragmenter to rid yourself of the fragments? You can read this tutorial about what it is and how it works. And you can read this topic for suggestions of different defragmenters.

I find that good times to defragment are after installing or uninstalling programs, after disc cleaning, disc check etc. and after security scans.

Good luck,

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:08 PM

thank you orangeblossom

This computer was not done in years and is slow to bootup and shut down and it doesn't seem to load images and things as fast as it should. Also I am trying to amaze my friend the owner with what I can do now that I know about sites like yours

Yes I have used defragg three or four times with less than the needed 15 percent space left but still have another drive.

I mean if the report sys you have a 20 mb font in 867 fragments isn't that bad?
Healing41

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 02:22 PM

Are there any files, such as pictures, word documents etc. that could be removed and saved on another disk? Have you deleted cookies, off-line content, browser cache etc.? Doing these can free up space so defragmentation can work and speed up the computer as well. You may need to defragment more than once.

Are there unused programs that could be uninstalled? This will free up space as well and should speed things up.

Check out this topic. For now I'd do steps 4 and 5 to open up some space, then go back through steps 1-3, double check 4 and 5 and continue on through. Doing this should help tremendously. If you hadn't said that the comp. hadn't been maintained etc. I wouldn't worry about 1-3, but ...

You may have to run defragmentation several times in order to get to top performance.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 healing41

healing41
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:18 PM

yes unused programs such as uninstallation packs for sp2 is a good place to start which ones are they can you tellme? iread an article on just that last week but lost it.

Yes I have deleted all that.

can answer question about 20 mb file

sorry if I am confusing i have a lot on my mind.

I am very adaware spybot oriented clean and update all the times.

where can i find backup files for like sym anti-virus corporat addition. I guess what we are talking about now is where I am going to start this cleaning can you help me. even walk me through it. This machine is very clean of STUFF. the problem is it hasn't been defragged except when I started this.

what about logs. could i do a search for .log and just select all and delete and then reboot?is there a log for defrag. where is it? i don't want to stop now and make a new view report someone else will get on the computer.

#8 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

If this computer has not been cleaned in that long of a time I would run a HijackThis on it and let one of our HJT experts take a gander at it. I am sure they would like the challenge. Just follow the instructions below:

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:

Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users